Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out for a quicky down the new local as I've just moved to bli bli. Found a few spots I wish I'd found a month or so ago. All the fish I caught were small but still a good mixed bag and lots of fun on 6 lbs. In between the jack, trevally and cod I caught about nine 30-40cm lizards.

Mid morning was having a bite to eat on a mud flat with a sp out on the bottom hoping for a passing flatty the light rod performs an upside down U shape and drag screams. No fatty but my first ray on a plastic. An eagle ray I believe. Great looking fish.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Eagle ray it is indeed. That s a bit of luck as they are not usually feeding on fishes, they prefer crabs and mollusks but I guess you dropped your plastic in front of her and she couldn t resist. Would have been great fun on 6lb.
Also nice variety of fish, I d love to get a bag like this sometimes.
Cheers

Boris

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imtheman said:
nice mate is that a bullrout ?
Not sure man. I've never caught a bullrout before. Have you seen a few around? Quite similar to an estuary cod.

·
Registered
466 Posts
yeah mate its a bullrout- The Bullrout is known as the "Freshwater Stonefish" and can be found in streams and estuaries from southern New South Wales right the way up to northern Queensland. The Bullrout should be handled with extreme care. The dorsal, anal and pelvic spines all have venom glands. A puncture wound from one of these spines can be excruciatingly painful.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I had a mate step on one when he was throwing a cast net for some mullet, he had to take a few days off just because of the size of his foot couldnt fit in his boot due to the swelling.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Those eagle rays are cool, I've caught them on soft plastics before too. The one I got went berserk on 6pd gear and was heaps of fun, it even got airborne a couple of times too.

Looks like a great little spot you've got there, looking forward to seeing what other variety you can pull out, although it looks like you got most bases covered with this first trip.

Kev

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah great session indeed. Would have been nice if the fish were a little bigger but atleast i know where im heading this weekend. Going to be a regular for sure now. Especially considering it's a stones throw from my house. :D
Really glad I didn't touch what I thought was a small estuary cod after hearing that fellas, cheers. Could have been very painful.
Hopefully next time they're twice the size. Bar the bullrout. .

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You said it bigkev. Just gotta work on size now. I did also snag a small bass while exploring the upper reaches so keen to put more time into that. Dropped him as I pulled him into the yak so no pic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.