Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paddled out at 3pm with a 10 to 15knot Easterly breeze and chop. The 5km paddle to gravel was uneventful. Decided that it was getting late so turned around to make my way back to palmy. I marvelled at the swimming action of my pillie, when i checked my baits. This and the approaching darkness excited me into a paddling frenzy. The rod slowly bent over and the drag clicked a few times. The identity of the fish was hard to pick as it towed me around for 20 odd mins and did not make a screaming run. Then it went down deep underneath my yak. My ugly stick started bouncing as the fish bolted for the surface. Only few meters away a massive black ( i think) marlin (looked as big as my 12ft yak and was easily over 2m) jumped clear out of the water with my rig in its mouth. Then it tail walked for around 200m in only a matter of seconds. My jig master was screaming and i wished i had brought the go pro. I put the rod in the holder to get out my camera phone but the line went slack as the hook pulled out. I wound in and noticed amy 6x vmc treble had a hook straightened. Was certainly a memorable experience and one to tick of the yak list, but i would have preferred a hoo or spanish. By then the light was fading, the westerly wind had picked up and by the time i paddled in it was dark and cold. Have we seen the end of the mackeral? Just one more mackeral!

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Incredible Chris, but I believe you.

Amazing experience. :D

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
A great memory that will fire up new targets for your bucket list mate.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Barrabundy said:
Wow, great story. Bet you'll be hoping for another every time you're out there for the new few trips.
Yeah Con was special for sure. But i have to say that i won't target them at all, they are way too dangerous launching themselves around the yak with that big sharp bill; crazy stuff. So glad it released itself cause i don't know what i would have done.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bertros said:
Carnster nails a Marlin.
Wishes it was a Spanish.
This is a man with some very particular standards. :lol:

Onya Carnster... Another epic fish but heading home in the dark once again.... Is this becoming a thing?
Yeah bit weird i know, but i like to eat fish and i would not eat that thing, besides it would not fit on my yak. It's only ever happened once before with a 2m cobe.
I have been known to paddle out to the gravel at night for jew, but it is a bit hairy and i try to avoid it, especially now that it is a bit BRRRRRR cold.

·
Registered
149 Posts
A Blue you say? Hmmm, dunno about that Chris.
The chance of a Blue Marlin at Palmy would be very, very slim.

More likely a Black I'd say.

Bad luck on dropping it, trebles are hard to keep stuck in billfish.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
richmond said:

I was at gravel Jeff, but i agree a black was more likely. I have only ever hooked small blacks 50 to 100kgs, but this one was so much bigger, so i thought blue. I just watched a Vid on telling the difference and you may be correct. Apparently when the blacks jump the pectoral fins say out on a curve whereas the blues depress. This marlin clearly had visible pectoral fins while jumping so yeah prob was a black. Anyway i was happy it got off and enjoyed the spectacular arial display so close to me.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
carnster said:
richmond said:

I was at gravel Jeff, but i agree a black was more likely. I have only ever hooked small blacks 50 to 100kgs, but this one was so much bigger, so i thought blue. I just watched a Vid on telling the difference and you may be correct. Apparently when the blacks jump the pectoral fins say out on a curve whereas the blues depress. This marlin clearly had visible pectoral fins while jumping so yeah prob was a black. Anyway i was happy it got off and enjoyed the spectacular arial display so close to me.
Who cares ... blue black? It was a monster, and not what you want beside a yak. Sweet dreams King Carnster.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
King Carnster?? I reckon that could have been interesting, fighting the blue/black as dark was settling in... veeerrry interesting! I think that the straightened hook saved you some hairy moments friend Carny.

What the hell are you going to dig up to beat that? Perhaps an Orca would provide some fun times! :D

Jimbo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.