Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes they are out there and even in the dark. Padded out this morn at stupid o'clock (4.30am) in pitch black, wasn't all that cold surprisingly. Made it to gravel at 5:30am with a hint of light on the horizon. Put out the baits and double hook up on barracuda. 2 more hits on the way in and passed Ant and Clive (aka Hoo slayer) at palmy at around 6:20am and wished them well. Back on the beach at 7am and BRRR the temp had dropped heaps at car park. Off to work and raced home this arve around 4pm to try it again. Hit the gravel late in the arvo with a stiff north westerly breeze and chop/wind swell. Was paddling in and decided to go into my fish inducing paddling frenzy. Sure enough both rods exploded. The fish ran towards me and thrashed around on the surface. The one in the holder got free while i carefully played the other. The hoo came in early and had a look at me; it looked fantastic in the dark with my headlamp on it. It was electric blue lit up with fins up. About 30mins later i sunk the gaff and sung out the usual rendition. I noticed that the hooks were hanging on the side on its mouth and i had to work to extract the wire that was tangled up in its teeth. I am not sure how long the hooks were dangling but it was probably lucky i used light drag and stayed patient. By then i had been blown another couple of km's offshore so i had to battle the wind, rain, chop and cold all the way home in pitch black but i was loving it. Went 1.3m and 13.5kg.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
salticrak said:
Hoos afraid of the dark? ....not you it seems. Well done mate.

I would like to ask you Hoo wranglers as to why you think there are a concentration of these fish down there?
I think there is just a lot of us chasing them atm, really it is pretty dead out there when Ant, Rod and myself couldn't get a mackeral or hoo yesterday morning (even with live macktuna trolled around all morning - normally would guarantee a fish). With so many of us pushing the envelope someones going to get lucky and find one. But yeah schools are coming passed and if you are out there you have a chance. Plenty of boats and yaks trying for nada.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the disclaimer guys:
I don't want to glorify/encourage paddling around in the dark way offshore, because it is downright dangerous. If the swell, sharks or cold doesn't get you there is plenty of other things to go wrong. I am a tad crazy when it comes to fishing, but i love it and pray that it won't spell my downfall.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Well done mate and that's for going in the dark oh yes nice Hoo too ,for me ill stick to light hours I'm really not keen to push my luck too far in the dark ,last time I did that I was told you going to be a father :)

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
How much would it cost us to get you to post up a report where you catch nothing ?
My doctor has advised me not to read your reports anymore.

Anyone know any suppliers of cheap St John's wort ?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
salticrak said:
@ Saffa :lol: I really seem to think there must be an aggregation point down your ways as far as wahoo go. Please understand I am not trying to downplay your magnificent captures. I mean the whole time i have fished the sunnycoast I have only caught a small 'hoo off a stinker.
As for yakking in the dark, thats not for me.
They get a lot around Cape Moreton too, I think they stay wide after passing the islands.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
carnster said:
Here's the disclaimer guys:
I don't want to glorify/encourage paddling around in the dark way offshore, because it is downright dangerous. If the swell, sharks or cold doesn't get you there is plenty of other things to go wrong. I am a tad crazy when it comes to fishing, but i love it and pray that it won't spell my downfall.
That's a good thing to add Chris. I agree, lots can go wrong. Heck, I've been in trouble in daylight often enough. You have excellent fitness and skills, plus lots of local knowledge and fishing knowledge....many others would not have all of those.

Keep doing what you love! We pray too that it won't be your downfall .... what would we have to read at night? :eek: :(

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
salticrak said:
@ Saffa :lol: I really seem to think there must be an aggregation point down your ways as far as wahoo go. Please understand I am not trying to downplay your magnificent captures. I mean the whole time i have fished the sunnycoast I have only caught a small 'hoo off a stinker.
As for yakking in the dark, thats not for me.
Yes i agree that they are around palmy atm, but many members of the army have been targeting them with troll baits this year. I personally have covered a lot of kms lately with top baits swimming fantastically. It is a long paddle to the gravel and back when you come home with nada. I do have a mate who has been catching them on the sunny coast in his boat. Can't give away details but around 4km's offshore mooloolaba.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Another great fish Chris, Well done again... and in the dark!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Dumb question, but what are HOO like on the plate? I've never seen them for sale in the shops down here in Sydney.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.