Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, not really interesting but will probably confirm what most people suspect.

yesterdays very quick trip to spot w :D , pre origin, no one on the water :)

towed my new 2 lure hardbody rig for zip (damm you i fish , but i will persist)
photos show the smaller xrap being pursued by the larger qantas lure (and i was so confident)

settled in to with 2 rods, now i had 20 lb braid, 40 lb leader on the bigger rod as i got sharked by a big shark last time and wanted to catch one

had 8 lb braid 10 lb yamatoyo on the smaller rod and reel.

no sharks but what was interesting was that the big heavy outfit caught the small fish and the light rod and light leader caught the big fish.

the tailor were not fussy and got a couple of undersized ones on both rigs.(the photo'ed tailor shows the 40 lb thickness)
but the 2 legal snapper were both on the light stuff and to prove a point i took a pic of a very juvenile snapper on the 40lb leader.

so, small fish are dumb and take thick leader. quality fish are smart and like thin leader. here endeth the lesson.

some pics including the leaders photographed in front of the tele to try to show the thickness, and the 2 lure rig which i'm sure will work.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
grinner said:
towed my new 2 lure hardbody rig for zip (damm you i fish , but i will persist)
Why? neither will swim very well. Part of the reason lighter line works best is the lure will swim better.

Sharks are usually a bit quiet in winter.

Nice fishies, legs arent bad either ;-)

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Great, now that I'm feeling the pressure of having to get bilbo onto some fish, I have the added pressure of wondering whether the trolled double lure set up is the silver bullet for my fishless kayaking excursions!

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Squidley said:
The two HB rig is very interesting, did you watch how it swam? I'd be tempted to add a single hook to the front of the smaller lure. Nice snapper.
Didn't notice that, yep I'd definitely add a hook on the front one too.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ paul, interesting. no didnt swim quite as well and mite be better with the bigger lure at the front??
having said that, if you watch a distressed fish in the water, say a pike or something you chuck back, it often swims 10 m, then goes on its side and does a few funny twitches, then swims agin.

i had a micro mullett which was damaged and used to go good then come up to the surface and go like a popper, then dive again and behave itself. it caught quite a few flatties and a whiting or two. so a lure swimming "incorrectly' may not be a terrible thing.

@ cobe, no grinners, not a one. my opinion on grinners is if you start catching them, move. i think they are so voracious that the other fish just piss off coz they wont get a feed.

interesting though, often choppers on the surface = better fish below as the snaps undoubtedly feed on the 1/2 eaten little fish (sometimes big flatties too).
i wont reveal my secret bait , but when tailor turn up i always mangle the bait (maybe even just deadstick the plastic too) and let it just waft down like a piece of litter from the surface. seems to work.
oddly got some tailor 2 weeks ago on the bottom in 50 feet of water, so the schools will settle quite deep during the day (i always wondered where they went).

@ squidley , ta mate, always try new stuff hay

@ con, you cant complain con, barra season ??

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
grinner said:
@ paul, interesting. no didnt swim quite as well and mite be better with the bigger lure at the front??
having said that, if you watch a distressed fish in the water, say a pike or something you chuck back, it often swims 10 m, then goes on its side and does a few funny twitches, then swims agin.
Yeah but they don't do that in a constant straight line like when you're trolling. That the reason for all the twitches and pauses when casting and retrieving.

Personally I would have had the red head (injured, bleeding gills.....) at the front being chased by healthy looking fish behind.

Small fish on heavy gear = young & stupid, possibly in larger numbers with greater competition for food.

Big fish on heavy gear = older wiser fish with lower numbers and less competition for food. They didn't get big by being stupid.

Of course bloody beekeeper smashes all these theories of mine catching big fish in shallow water regularly on heavy gear, bastard :twisted:

Kev

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.