Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been watching the weather forecast all week hoping this morning would remain viable for fishing. Seeing a few of the reports last night, I knew I was going to head out and have a go this morning. Got all the gear on the car and then suddenly realised a bunch of my plastics had gone AWOL. No idea where, must have come out of the cart at some point. Sprinted down to BCF and got 2 more bags of Zmans for the trip.

Got the beach this morning expecting a few of the regulars to be making the most of the conditions but I was greeted by an empty car park at first. Do they know something I don't? :? Eventually one other bloke showed up and got everything ready to launch. The swell was quite mild, but I still managed to completely bugger up my launch when I baulked at pushing the yak in and the mirage drive fins decided to embed themselves in the sand. As I went to move forward over and through the next wave the yak only wanted to move sideways and the wave broke right over the kayak soaking everything. Another two smaller waves smacked it before it could get it back facing into the surf and moving forward for a very wet and embarrassing launch in what was easy conditions. Talk about making the simple look impossible, I'm glad there wasn't a crowd after all :lol:

Trolled a plastic out to Brays while waiting for the sun to rise. I then noticed the two bags of zmans i had bought and stowed in the front pocket had been sneakily removed by the wave when I was launching. There's $16 down the drain :shock: I met up with Damo and he said he'd just drift plastics until the sun came up in the hope of a snapper. Decided to give that a go and 2 minutes later my first ever legal snapper was in the boat. Nice one Damo!

As soon as the sun came up the tuna started boiling around Brays. Damo hooked up first and I managed a shot or two of him fighting his fish before I started chasing the boils. I hooked up shortly after casting into a school. The fish took a good 30-40 seconds before it really kicked into gear which gave me a chance to get myself ready for what was to come. I used the pedals to keep the angles changing and instead of 3 or 4 concerted runs the fish only got 2 in before the slog started. This took a bloody long time as the fish would not give in despite my efforts and changing angles and planing him to the surface.

After about 40 minutes of slog he finally got close enough for me to grab his tail and drag him into the yak, a very tired and happy angler. Damo watched for the latter half of the fight after he had landed his fish. He gave plenty of 'moral support' (talk shit while I'm working my guts out) and got some photos of the fish for me. We both headed in after that happy with the day's reward and keen to get in before the wind picked up.

Very happy with the result but I am completely knackered. Thanks again to everyone for the tips and assistance, looks like I need to spend more time pondering the launching lessons...

Pics to come.

Joel

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
WooHoo Joel. Thats what Im talking about. Pictures? C'mon.. there must be hundreds of them. :)

·
Banned
8,383 Posts

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
Well done on the outcome Joel, sounds like you earned it mate.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
imnotoriginal said:
paulo said:
WooHoo Joel. Thats what Im talking about. Pictures? C'mon.. there must be hundreds of them. :)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 620417f886

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 3116901e30

Try these Paulo, I'm on an iPad and this is the only way I can work out how to do it.

Damo has some photos too.

Joel
Get yourself a photobucket account and the app. It's free. I'll do this on the iPhone but it should apply.
Upload the photos to photobucket using the app and then find them in your album. In the bottom right hand corner of the window you'll see a little circle with an i in it. Press this and you'll see:

Tap on the img code and it will copy automatically:

Paste this straight into your post:

and............. Voila!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.