Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Im still new to kayaking and have only paddled in freshwater so far. Keen to get out into the salt and hopefully get a bit of a feed. I was thinking of hitting up mackay harbour as this way it does not matter so much about the weather. This sunday the 12th the wind is looking about 10 knots so far. If anyone is keen to head out with me to show me how things are done it would be much appreciated because as i say i am pretty much a complete newbie. :?

Otherwise i might just hit up the fresh possibly Kinchant or Bundoora.

Thanks,
Vince

·
Registered
319 Posts
Welcome vince, the weather is looking pretty bad at the moment I will see how it is near the weekend and let you know mate. Maybe a river mouth session if the wind dies down.

Cheers Scotty

·
Registered
862 Posts
Welcome to the forum vince, if the current forecast holds you won't see me out anywhere Sunday although the tides would be good for a session in the river.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it is kinda looking that way. Just see how things go i guess. What do you guys look for when going into the river? Just minimal difference between high and low tide? I live in Moranbah but when i have been in Mackay the flow in the river looks huge!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yeah vince that's about it but I like a little bit of run so anything up to a 4.8 high is ideal for me and anything over a 5.2 high is uncomfortable but the other guys may disagree.

Cheers

·
Registered
159 Posts
do need to go for a fish ,. got my new Quantum smoke reel to try out , damn you weather gods

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So i guess it was never meant to happen. My 4wd is currently out of action for the weekend and the weather is no good. :( Ill keep my eye on here and hopefully everything works out next time. Cheers

·
Registered
862 Posts
Anyone fishing this weekend or Monday, I got a couple days off and will probably get out again somewhere before I'm back at work Tuesday.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Monday sounds good Brett but I haven't decided where yet.

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately im workin till monday. But thursday looks like good weather but a fairly big tide. Might try and get out even if its in the fresh water. Good luck on Monday though.

Vince

·
Registered
319 Posts
I will be launching from River st boat ramp at around 6am tomorrow if anyone would like to tag along, all welcome.

Cheers Scotty

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'm gunna give tomorrow a miss Scotty, hope you get a couple, we did on Thursday and again today!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Anybody getting out today or tomorrow?

·
Registered
159 Posts
not this weekend mate , just recovering from a visit tio the dentist , but do want to get out next weekend weather permitting

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'll be out there Sunday morning. Probably River St ramp. I've done no good (at all) offshore or further up the river lately. Tides not ideal (4.8m high at 06:08) but thinking about finding out where the flatties are hiding, then getting some exercise paddling back to the ramp.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
My back been no good last 3 weeks it is realy getting me frustrated can't lift the yak. Hopefully good soon just as the mackeral hit town.
Good luck on the flatties I might do an arvo session land based up at shoal point with some yabbies.

Cheers Mal

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.