Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Snuck out yesterday for a sweetwater session fishing and exploring some new country. With us not having any serious rain up here for a while the waters are clearing up. The day got off to a bad start with a broken rod and a broken rudder before we got the first cast in but it got better as we crossed paths with (not caught) a few fish. There were a few good sooty's around for a change including this one 49cm brute which was caught second time around after earning it's freedom the first time.

image.jpg

We know it was the same fish as it had my mates first lure in it's gob when he eventually caught it. As the day went on we continued to hook (and lose) a few toga which was very frustrating. The tally of the day was around a dozen fish probably half toga half sooties including a couple which were caught by sight casting from the bank. Although it was an expensive day (lost rod and reel, broken paddle and broken trolley also) it was worth it.

image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
As bundy said, it was an expensive day....
Down along the river I found a nice overhanging tree and proceeded to drop 5 toga in as many casts in about 5 mins.
I challenged bundy to beat that and he only managed to lose a few toga within 5 mins, I'm better at not landing them.. frustrating fish!
I decided to mark the spot on my gps and I sat my rod in my lap and started playing with my gps, all of a sudden my shimano sustain 1000 and rod were 7m down with an angry fish attached, a big toga or sooty came up and grabbed my lure that was dangling about 200mm in the water and decided to steal my outfit... Not happy!
So now I was rudderless and down $500 of rod and reel.
The highlight of the day for me besides sight casting for toga was the 49cm sootie I caught.
We were fishing a nice snag and I hooked a nice sootie and as I was bringing him in a notice 2 massive catfish chasing it, the sootie dropped the lure and I proceeded to get smoked by a big fish that grabbed the dropped lure and snapped me off quickly.I re rigged and cast back in the same spot and got smashed, after a nice fight on light gear I landed a fat sootie and as I was unhooking it I notice some line and attached was my soft plastic with stinger that I had lost 5 mins ago, what a pig of a fish!

We ended up landing a few note toga and sooties before packing up the yaks and going exploring land based.
We hit up a spot we had fished before and as we walked down to the water, bundy spotted a nice toga around 700mm just sitting in the shallows, we pinged lures at him but he wasn't interested.
I walked up a bit and found a nice vantage point and spotted a nice toga in the middle and flicked my lure out to him,
He turned and followed it and engulfed it and I landed a nice 700mm+ toga.
We ended up getting a couple more land based, it's pretty exciting seeing and casting at a big toga cruising along just below the surface, something you don't see as much from the yak.
So I ended up with a broken rudder,broken paddle and lost a $500 outfit but It was all worth it,
We landed some nice fish and dropped 20+ toga but I guess that's what keeps you coming back for
More,Without a doubt the hardest and most frustrating fish to land on light tackle but still my favourite..

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
Great outcomes for you both, fellers.

·
Registered
159 Posts
nice fishing , sounds like a good day , will have to go for a trip over the hill one day for a paddle and fish

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.