Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My self and a mate are looking at doing a non yak fishing trip, we are wanting to target barra and was wondering how far south are they common?
This will just be a weekend trip so going way far north isn't really an option.
I live in Brisbane and he lives on the sunny coast, any rough ideas would be great.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Sunshine Coast Barra Park?

They have been catching them over summer in the Maroochy River canals I believe. They also get them regularly in the Noosa River, I saw photos of one caught this week.

I don't think these spots would be considered as reliable as up north though.

Joel

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Bundy would be the most southern place they're consistently caught. The Boyne River in Gladtone has fished well since Awoonga overflowed during the floods. Lake Lenthall's at Gympie is stocked with barra and is a bit closer to home.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive never herd of Lake Lenthall but did a quick google on it and looks like a nice spot and dosnt seem to be an overly large dam, Thanks for the info guys.
Now ive just gotta choose what rods to leave behind...this is gona be a tough one.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So many choices now, im gona talk to my mate about getting a guide for mondarun, I saw an add some where this morning that seemed pretty good price wise.
I wouldn't mind hitting up the creeks and rivers around bundy either hey, a few to put on my to do list.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Mary River mouth regular catches each year,

scater said:
Bundy would be the most southern place they're consistently caught. The Boyne River in Gladtone has fished well since Awoonga overflowed during the floods. Lake Lenthall's at Gympie is stocked with barra and is a bit closer to home.
Lenthalls Dam is a long way from Gympie about 20km North of Maryborough and then left another 15km, hardly any barra in there now cold weather each year claims most of them and after the floods most of the leftover ones were washed over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.