Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my last trip report with the snapper went well I thought I'd post my catch from a quick trip tonight between studying for exams.

I don't know how large it was as I was in a hurry to release it nice and healthy. I'd estimate about 55cm.

\

interesting to note however that this jack had been speared through one side of it's face and out the body (you can see the exit wound in the pic.) - and it was caught in an area where it is definitely illegal to spearfish. I love to spearfsih when I can, but seeing these sorts of wounds on big fish like this pisses me off. I have no idea how it got away and survived considering the size and location of the wound. (through entire head and out body)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wow! It's amazing what some fish live through. Shame to see that on such a beast. Still looks pretty healthy though.
Great fish congrats!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Nice fish. Last week I watched a guy spearfishing just inside the mouth at Bruswick Heads for over an hour. Totally illegal. What do you do?

Very frustrating.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha I actually love spearfishing, although i never seem to catch anything as it is a lot harder than normal fishing. I often see guys spearing in areas they arent allowed, and every time it's happened there is an easy solution.

I just let them know that what they are doing is illegal, and suggest areas close by where spearing is allowed that they can move to. As long as i do it in a non aggressive manner, most people aren't very confrontational and will pack up pretty quickly. I also throw in that i love to spear too, but you just gotta do it in the right areas.

As with most interactions with strangers, if you are aggressive or angry it is easy for people to just right you off as a fuckhead and ignore you. If you empathize but clearly explain that they're doing something illegal, usually they will just apologise and move on.

this is my experience anyway

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
moojuice said:
As with most interactions with strangers, if you are aggressive or angry it is easy for people to just right you off as a .... and ignore you. If you empathize but clearly explain that they're doing something illegal, usually they will just apologise and move on.
A nice jack MJ, and like your approach to problems, which usually leads to a good outcome.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice fish mate well done- we actually caught a kingfish last year on the 50fm that had been speared by a marlin at some stage and you could stick your finger right through the hole - It had healed perfectly and the fish was released after the capture . we thought if it could survive that then we didnt want to keep it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.