Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lurked here for many years but never really caught anything that I felt worthy of sharing here amongst the giants from the likes of carnster and ant.

In the past week however, I have caught 2 fish that are very memorable - not due to size, but due to where they were caught.

first up, this was caught just off the rockwall near twin towns resort in the tweed river. I thought it was a jew when I first saw silver, but I never expected something like this to be up a river. (went 85cm and 11 pounds)

Secondly, this little cutie was caught in a small little tidal lake in the suburbs, in about 25cm of water. It was released in great health. Can anybody guess what it is?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gatesy I have heard of snapper being around the tweed rockwall but just never seen one in the flesh - and certainly not that size.

and yes, it is indeed a baby qld grouper. I can't help but wonder how a baby got to be in a suburban tidal lake - could that mean that a big mummy is also in there?

G

·
Nice work. That's such a beautifully marked little grouper. And a rip snorter of a snapper too. They catch them in the city reaches of the Brisbane river at times but i've not heard of one quite that large.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Beaut groper mate. Great looking fish

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Good one Moojuice.

Cancel that. Great one Moojuice.

.....aaaand quite lurking. Share your experiences, for everyone's benefit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's so crazy to think that adorable yellow fish will one day grow into something like this

Does anybody know enough about the life cycle/breeding habits of these fish to say whether the presence of a juvenile like this in a somewhat isolated tidal lake could indicate also the presence of a larger one?

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Maybe the little one made it's way into the lake after "leaving the nest" and the big one is elsewhere. I really don't know anything about them but wouldn't it be awesome if one day someone sights mummy in there as well!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
moojuice said:
It's so crazy to think that adorable yellow fish will one day grow into something like this

Does anybody know enough about the life cycle/breeding habits of these fish to say whether the presence of a juvenile like this in a somewhat isolated tidal lake could indicate also the presence of a larger one?
Not sure myself but i have seen them a lot bigger than that. I had one the size of a small car eat my 1m+ queenie whole in one mouthful, off the rocks in plain sight.
I imagine it would have swum into the lake. It would easily eat a human being whole.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
moojuice said:

Just as a side note for anybody that may not have been aware. This particular fish was taken in the Brisbane river off the bank around Pinkenba as by catch when chasing large bull sharks.

I don't really know anything about their life cycle but lets say they're hatchling are very small and drift with tides / currents etc there is no reason fingerling sized fish couldn't make it into those lakes and grow and feed until its too big to get out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
carnster said:
moojuice said:

Not sure myself but i have seen them a lot bigger than that. I had one the size of a small car eat my 1m+ queenie whole in one mouthful, off the rocks in plain sight.
I imagine it would have swum into the lake. It would easily eat a human being whole.
So they grow kinda big..? :lol: Nah they are a cool fish and a pretty rare catch as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.