Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Qld around 55 years ago.

About a fortnight ago, I dined out with a couple of old school friends, Graham 72 years old like myself, and Bob 74.

During the animated talk session, we spoke of the kayak that Bob had loaned Graham and myself, and we found out then that Bob hadn't made the canvass covered kayak as we had thought.

It came to light that he found the two-man kayak abandoned on the beach at Scarborough when he was a young lad. It was partly covered with sand and looked pretty derelict.

He carted it home and cleaned it up, finding that it was in reasonable shape, but needed water-proofing… he sorted that out by applying a couple of coats of paint, then took it for a paddle.

It came up trumps, so then he had a craft he could enjoy paddling around the Scarby area.

It also came with a small sail, but Bob told us that he had to use the paddle as a keel to prevent it from tipping A/T in a reasonable breeze.

Graham and I had no idea about the history of this craft, but just enjoyed our outing immensely, except for the terrifying moments when we nearly ran over a partly submerged reef.

Having paddled kayaks for around 10 years, now, I thought long and hard about "abandoned" kayaks found on the beach.

If my yak was found on a beach somewhere, I guess that I would have come to grief somehow… what think you?

I wonder if some poor bugger/s had run into some overwhelming seas/weather that had caused them to abandon their kayak…

As it happened around 55 to 60 years ago, I guess I'll never find out, but hell, the whole scene is thought provoking, eh?

Cheers, Jimbo

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
bruus said:
It does make it hard to think of another reason for a kayak to be laying up on a beach looking roughed up.
Could well have come down as flood debris at some time, and do know of both a kayak, and also an 8' pram tinny that each turned up some time after different floods.

Both were advertised on each occasion with no claimants coming forward.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Beekeeper said:
As it happened around 55 to 60 years ago, I guess I'll never find out, but hell, the whole scene is thought provoking, eh?
Interesting story - and surely it must make you one of the few in this forum with 55+ years paddling experience :D

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeffen said:
Beekeeper said:
Interesting story - and surely it must make you one of the few in this forum with 55+ years paddling experience :D
Technically speaking, I guess you're correct, Jeffen... however, after that day's experience when I was about 14 years old, a whole lifetime of non-paddling passed until I bought the Acadia in late 2003... since then, I've used it about three times a week, roughly speaking.

But yes, I did begin paddling kayaks all that long ago! ;-)

Cheers, Jimbo

·
Registered
589 Posts
Dodge said:
Could well have come down as flood debris at some time, and do know of both a kayak, and also an 8' pram tinny that each turned up some time after different floods.

Both were advertised on each occasion with no claimants coming forward.
Yeh that's definitely a likely reason, I've seen all sorts of stuff floating down the rivers after floods. Still can't help but think of the other possibilities even though unlikely.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I had a rash of geekiness after reading this and did some quick research on the interweb. If it was washed out in a flood it was most likely the one in March 1955. Allow for the possibility of the kayak being out there for some months, and for Bob having it for a couple of years before lending to the others and it would fit. I looked for floods that happened in both the Brisbane and Pine rivers at the same time. I really don't know the region but looking at it from Google earth it looks like floodwaters from these 2 might send something out to land in that area.

This is from a BOM flood history of Qld:

"Mar 1955
Serious flooding was also reported in the upper Brisbane River, as well as the small coastal streams north of Brisbane, namely the Pine and Maroochy rivers, as a result of 125 to 375mm rains on 27th. Flood heights in the Brisbane River were generally the highest since 1931, resulting in moderate flooding in the lower Brisbane catchment on 29th and 30th. One life was lost. The Port Office gauge at Brisbane peaked at 3am on 30th, resulting in flooding of some low lying suburbs."

http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/flood/fld_his ... tory.shtml

There wasn't much between then and 1961 in these rivers. The Caboolture seems another possibility but the report doesn't mention it between 1943 and 2011.

All pure speculation but I found it interesting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.