Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi Guys, Friday was looking ok and no pressing work so I headed up the beach looking for Tuna.
I went up Thursday afternoon, just in time as the beach had changed since our trip to DI a few weeks ago. No gutters or holes along the whole beach. 2 sand bars and the dreaded back break. A launch was doable on Thursday arv, no birds and a bit of breeze swayed me to stay dry and collect some of the plethora of driftwood from the pounding the beach has had. A lot of campsites washed away, 3 or 4 kms of them down the southern end.

IMG_1007.JPG

The high tide lapped right up to my campsite and I had a fish from my fire place before dinner. no luck. Woke early and was ready to go as soon as I could see the back break.
The surf was bigger, messy and the back break was working well . It was iffy and I needed to judge the sets well. First attempt I was dumped on the 2nd bar, back in the saddle, wet and even more determined I managed to get through the bars and airborne a few times as I lucked the back break, 3 or 4 big waves standing right up rolling through with a line of white water along the top. Great feeling getting air coming over the back of waves like that.
Setting up, my jig rod came out of the tube as a 2 piece after my dumping.
Floater on my overhead and white plastic on my spin rod. within 15 minutes I had dropped a tuna on the floater, 10 minutes later I had one hooked and running pretty well on my Saion sn55. Had him on board about 20 minutes later, playing him carefully like he was my last chance.

IMG_1013.JPG

As it turned out it was exactly that, I had a plastic bitten off that I didn't even notice and no more action after that.
On the beach by 10 am after surfing to within about 10 meters before rolling in the wash.
Broke camp and headed home happy, Mission accomplished.
Cheers,
Dave.
ps I packed my new favorite hat away and it lives to fight another day Trev. :D

Attachments

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Good one Dave. You did well to get out at all in that solid surf. But as Kev said - Moffats ... for no ferry fees.

After your mate? Paully said, "He loses a hat every trip :shock: ", I was worried about your expenditure on hats. Glad you got that sorted. :lol:

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Great stuff Dave. Love DI in winter, no-one about and heaps of fish.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Great stuff Dave, pretty keen considering similar fish on offer at Moffats without the need to get through those back line bombs.
Good one Dave. You did well to get out at all in that solid surf. But as Kev said - Moffats ... for no ferry fees.
Thanks fellas, no camping or fires at Moffats!
Actually I was hoping to come across a cobia or a big stray spaniard up there. Not much chance of one of those at Moffats.

Nice easy 20 minute setup without all the cogs, home grown eye fillet and sausages for one, cold lager. Now that's Livin' !!

IMG_1009.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
A whole keg for one man, respect.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Another good fish there Dave,
I've turn a corner on the shoulder injury and will be doing a trip to DI again so Salti ol' boy get your dump and roll sorted mate ,another month and ill be back on the water hopefully.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.