Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This trip was on 17/6/13.
With some good weather I decided to make the most of it and go somewhere different. Launching from the usual place the plan was to troll past my usual spot and head north towards Green island off Shoal point. Conditions were great! fishing was not. 3hrs of fishing new terrain with all sorts of tactics proved fruitless and I was now at my destination of Green island. Eating my lunch and enjoying the scenery, I get a rather rude call that was enough to piss me off and send me on my way. {High likelihood of a doughnut probably hadn't helped}

From vague memory it was roughly 10:30am and the tide had just started to run from a low of 1.2m. I took the same route back as I didn't want any surprises from the reef I was navigating. Always having a lure out I was surprised when a spanish was brought aboard as I thought it was a bit late for them to feed, maybe he just couldn't resist the lance butler killalure on display. Only 50cm or so he wasn't dinner but enough to put a smile on my face knowing today wouldn't be one of thooosse days. Quickly dealt with yak side {not hooked very well} there was no time for photos so I paddled on. While passing through a rather fishy looking channel between reefs I was some what pulled in by the current and resorted to the troll motor to get me out. {I can be a lazy bugger at times}. Passing the last rock and into less pushy water I head that lil further out to make sure my lure stays snag free, turn the yak to round the bend and the rod buckles over with the drag screaming a constant pitch.

I snagged it I thought while turning the motor off, only when the rod started to bounce I realized I had been giving all this line to a fish! The drag was fairly tight already so I figured she was well hooked, I tried paddling away from the structure but the further I went the more line she took. Tightening the drag was not helping and I thought she must have me on reef as the head shakes had stopped... or she was using that current to her advantage and didn't need head shakes. Well I was in two minds, do I go in close to the exposed reef to try to de-snag? if wrong I could be running braid on to reef when not needed. Or go into the channel myself and eliminate her advantage. If wrong putting pressure on leader by both fish and yak in the channel. 30pd braid or 60pd fluorocarbon leader? Hopefully leader holds up if I am wrong cause Im drifting into the channel. Gaining line I think Ive made the right call I can feel head shakes again then a slight "ting" on the braid some harder head shakes accompanied by some line being taken and its clearly game on! Surprisingly her best runs were off into the current as opposed to with it, which I felt worked in my favor as I had the wind pushing me in the same direction as the current. 5 mins later I had this fish directly below the yak in 6m of water and still had no idea what all the effort was for. A few upward pumps and she nearly hits the surface while exposing herself in all her glory. A memory I will not forget! Its obvious its not gonna be that easy and she bolts for the bottom again.With hair on end and blood rushing my thoughts were headed to how many trophy fish get this close to capture and get away, I loosen the drag and allow the fish to work herself out as I am in deeper water. Soon enough the decision to gaff or net was upon me, I really didn't think the net was big enough but she was tired, would be easy to handle and the gaff would spoil such wonderful flesh. Not leaving it to chance once aboard and secured she went straight in to the esky. Well nearly her tail was hanging out so I tied the esky lid down.

Not too far from where I was pulled in to the channel the first time, I put the electric motor on and tried to replicate the exact technique. My efforts were rewarded, just meters from the last hit I had another fish on. This fish was smaller and without complications was quickly in the net. Well above legal he went into the esky as well. Happy with my catch I moved on and wondered what would happen next time I pass that rock. {see report called the one that got away}. There was a tinny not far that had been there since I passed him some hrs ago. An older bloke I said "hows the fishing?" he replied with "just undersized cod. You get a mackeral up there?" my reply was "yea mate he was undersize. Got a decent fingermark. haven't been here before are they common?" "Not for me."

His eyes light up when he saw the tail hanging out the esky and not long after saw him move closer to where the fish were caught. Some pics on the beach while I waited for the tide to get me up the creek to the boat ramp allowed some boaties to bear witness to my catch. Between 3 boats and god knows how many km's only one had a keeper. As they jumped out and pushed their boats through the skinny water I passed over the shallow water with the tide and had the yak out of the ramp before the first boat got there. The smaller fish was given to my parents and baked whole in foil in the oven, as was the wings of the bigger fish {with garlic, basil and lemon}. Sensational!!!! The fillets were enough to feed two people twice on their own. The heads are in the freezer for crab bait but my mum insists I should of made a fish soup.

Gotta love FINGERMARK!

Attachments

G

·
Mate love your territory , water looks fantastic

Great Fingermark , wouldn't there be a chance of saurian's in that area ?

Cheers

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Are finger mark the same family as the mangrove jack? I take it they are judging by the similar looks, just different colouring pretty much.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Yeah that's a fantastic FM for sure and gr8 eating. Congrats, would be a HOF podium place. I just came back from that area and had one good trip within 1km of the beach and saw some excellent scenery.Had a big meter+ barracuda eat one of my coral trouts which was exciting but caught and released plenty. Only one grey mackeral which was a little disappointing but my dad lost (pulled the hooks) a couple of big spanish on the big wolfies the next day.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imtheman said:
great fish mate ! would of been a good fight too
Yeah it was a great fight mate, they fight like MJ!

Barrabundy said:
Are finger mark the same family as the mangrove jack? I take it they are judging by the similar looks, just different colouring pretty much.
Yes they are, the lutjanus family. They are extremely similiar, breed, feed and fight the same. They both have very slow growth rates as well. From what I can tell the only other difference from colour is that fingermark dont go as far south as what jacks do. I could be wrong.

KingCobe said:
Mate love your territory , water looks fantastic. Great Fingermark , wouldn't there be a chance of saurian's in that area ? Cheers
Thanks mate, I love it up here. Probably is a fair chance they are getting around. If u ask me everywhere up here is croc country and you cant afford to think ur safe. In saying that Ive only seen one in a yr of yak fishing eimeo creek, with alot of night trips included. Just like surfing or swimming at the beach. Its a calculated risk with a lot of doubt attached, it wouldn't be fun if there wasn't any risk. haha no! Play it safe fellow yakkers, getting ripped apart doesn't sound like fun at all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.