Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
My brother-in-law, Nick and I headed to another location I have been meaning to fish for a while. We arrived at Yarramalong Weir at about 8am, welcomed by some fog and a sneaky, icy breeze. We loaded up our yaks and launched from the boat ramp, having a quick chat to one of the campers nearby as we set off against a slight breeze.

DSCF0562.jpg

I had a couple of new home made lures to try out today and was keen to see how they went. I clipped this one on first and was pleased with it's action, so continued to troll it and another lure behind me.

DSCF0561.jpg

Before long I had a fish on the home made a lure, a very pale yellow belly around the 40cm and quite solid. I hadn't really prepared for keeping any catch today, but luckily Nick had his keeper net with him, so after a couple of pics I slipped the yella into the keeper net.

DSCF0565.jpg

DSCF0567.jpg

We continued on our way seeing some good arches on the sounder and some deep holes of about 6m. We trolled and cast HBs, spinner baits and blades as we explored further upstream.

DSCF0570.jpg

We spent plenty of time peppering some very fishy looking snags with spinner baits and bobbing some bait, but to no avail. The lure of what was round the next bend kept us moving, but it finally came time that we had to turn around as we had a family engagement we needed to get back for.

As we were turning around, Nick said some thing along the lines of, "It will be nice to have the wind behind us on the way back!". "Too right!" I replied. Well, that lasted all of about 200m and then the wind swung around and blew in our faces with renewed vigour. Bastard.

DSCF0578.jpg

Before long on the return peddle I had another yella on board of similar size. It joined the other in the keeper net. Watching our sounders we noticed a steep drop off from about 2m to 6m and a bunch of arches.

DSCF0575.jpg

Not far past the drop off my drag started to sing. I reached around a grabbed the rod and began to do battle with this fish. It was putting up a much better account of itself than the previous two had......and then it headed deep and worked it's way amongst the snags!! I gave it some slack in the hope that it might work it's way back out. I gave it some more slack. Still no joy.

I sent the lure retriever down the line and worked away trying to bring lure and/or fish to the surface. No good. Nick peddled over and tried his heavier lure retriever. Still no good. After repeated attempts with the lure retriever something gave and I was down 1 lure and 1 fish. Bugger!

After tying on a new length of leader I tempted fate and thought I would troll back and forth across this deep hole a few more times. Well, fate didn't need much tempting. Within a minute my home made lure was snagged and wasn't responding to the lure retriever treatment either. It was a sad goodbye, but I was getting some good practice tying on leader.

DSCF0574.jpg

We continued on our way back to the boat ramp and I managed to pick up one more yella. As we started to load up the utes some of the campers came over for a look. They were surprised to the 3 good yellas I'd bagged. They'd been bait fishing off the banks for a couple of days and hadn't caught a thing.

DSCF0582.jpg

All in all it was a very pleasant few hours on the water. I gave 2 lures and took 3 good fish. Hopefully the odds are better next time.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gonetroppo said:
Those home made lures look really good, well done, is it hard to do?
Only the purple and black one was one of my home made ones. Easier to make than I first thought. Loads of great advice in the DIY section

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
indiedog said:
Justin, the finish on your lure looks great. It really shimmers in the pic with the fish attached. Another successful outing. How did Nick do?
Thanks Brad. I'm really happy with the last few that I've painted. Unfortunately Nick went fishless this trip. We reckon it was probably due to the colour and diving depth of the lures he was using i.e. light colours and shallow diving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.