Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
G'day everybody,

I was off to wello on monday morning with the intention to show the place around to a mate that really likes kayaking but who is often too lazy to come around. Waiting for him at 8am, I jump in the water and try to get any bait that would be stickin around the jetty. Of course I am as good as chasing livies as a puffer is at fighting which resulted in doughnut. Then I get a call from mi mate, not coming of course, and I piss off toward the drop off. Then the interesting bits start. I am not getting too many bites from SP and the wind is getting a bit stronger so I decide to anchor to have a bite and throw a few bait around. Caught a bream and a few tiny squire, then a big bite and off is the heavier outfit, with a 20lb line on. Feels like a good fish but doesn t seem to give too many head shake. I guess it is a small shark. Then I got head shakes, I am happy. 30 sec later, I see a fish at the top of the water about 20m from me, its a bloody shark that I am seeing here and it get closer so I discover with great surprise that the bloody thin is actually a 80+ cm catfish. Oh well, I did not expect that for today but I did have fun with it. Got it yakside to see that it s hooked in the eye and before I can get the plier or take the camera out, it was off.
About an hour later, I am a bit further in about 4m of water and I get some good bite while drifting with a big fish fillet at the end of my 10lb outfit. I am getting ready to set the hook into whatever this thing is and zzzzzzzzzzzz, the little reel is screaming. I have caught some small shark on this reel but this run feels heaps stronger. I hang on, the yak immediately turns around and get towed and I see my little reel screaming and I feel buggered. Then it stops, I must have about half of the 300m of line left at this point. I feel better and set the drag a little lower to make sure I dont break the line. A couple of very strong headshake and I get a few meter of line back when, zzzz again the fish is gone and well gone this time, it won t stop. I am tightening the drag, slow the spool down with my hand, the last few meters of the line comes, and that s it, I got spooled for the first time ! I feel like I got deflowered by this bugger. Of course I try to set up my other line with the same bait and drift toward were the fish went but nothing bites.
I decide to head a bit further and drift lazily thinking about this fish, when again, I got a good bite on the 20lb line, and nothing, did a good run, i set the hook but it stopped and I got the hook back. My last try was to put a 30cm pike alive in 6m of water close to the bottom and again I had a beautiful bite but I only just got the head of the fish back.
I did managed this little blenny on SP which was fun and colourful but nothing remotely close to any of the good ones of today.
DSC03711.JPG

Next move will be to get a better rod and reel with plenty of line on it.
Does anybody know if it is easy to get a left handed overhead somewhere ? I haven t looked at it yet but I do not understand why you would use your right arm, which is supposed to be the stronger on a little reel while you are fighting a monster with your left and weak arm. Also if any body knows what type of fish spooled me, it would make me feel better (I call it a big snap but I do not really know).
Cheers, tight line to all

Boris

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
Could be anything really. You may have hooked the big tiger that patrols the area during winter, (estimated to be around 4m). Could have been a tuna also or a turtle. You won't get too many snapper that will spool you with 10lb line. I have caught some high 50's with 4lb line and never had more then 50m out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The bay is full of mac tuna and some longies at the moment, been chasing then around the banks out from wello. Wouldn't surprise me if it was one of those.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'd have to agree with the others. I reckon either big shark-which seems reasonably common at wello- or a decent tuna. Last year I spent an hour and a half chasing a big Tuna which eventually busted me off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, that really means I got to upgrade a bit the gear and get onto these pelagic bastard ! I don t reckon it was a shark cause it was giving some decent head shake along the run, which I never experienced from shark. tuna it will be called !
Cheers
Boris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.