Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After six hours of being buffeted around in high winds across big swells (for Moreton Bay) on Monday, I couldn't face another dose of the same punishment forecast by BOM so early, so opted out and hit the North Pine instead. Maybe I won't catch any fish by just hangin' a lure out behind and paddlin' hard, but it certainly will give me a fitness work-out.

I paddled tough against incoming current down the South Pine until I hit the North arm, hung a leftie and headed up towards the Petrie road bridges.… much easier, but still hooking in.

I was trolling the 76mm Koolie in Rainbow Trout colours, mainly due to its great success rate, especially in these waters, but hadn't had a touch in 45 minutes so was idly trying to read the print on the Stradic spool, which is upside-down when the rod sticks out behind me… spinning spool is usually my first indication of fish-strike.

When trolling the Pine, I usually cross the river and hit spots that have previously scored for me, and on the day, if a previously untried area looks inviting, rip through there as well.

Still amusing myself watching the spool occasionally, I caught myself doing a Bruus (Daniel missed a jewie strike recently by nodding off slightly), and noticed that I couldn't read the print this time… because the reel's spinning so fast…

Hey dopey! Fish on!

Snapping out of by stupor, I grabbed the rod and applied myself to the task in hand… hey, this a good fish… not the tailor I was really expecting (reports say plenty of them in the Pine)… this has jewie written all over it! Big head shakes and strong runs! Although I sitting right over it by now, it still won't come up for a look, and after a good ten minutes…

Spat the lure!

Gutted! That's an awful feeling, losing a fish after such a long fight.

I checked the hooks, and none of the three singles were distorted, so it wasn't hook failure that lost the fish… Oh well! No use crying over spilt milk… on with the job!

Of course, I did a big circle and visited the hit zone again, but no dice this time, so on with the fitness paddle. Within a few minutes, the spool spun again, and a feisty 23cm bream was slipped back to play with his mates, and paddle off again.

I reached the road-bridges at Petrie, found that the one that was being repaired seems to be sorted now… did a 180˚ turn and back under the bridges…

Whoa! Reel spinning again! Fish on!

This feller wanted to tie me up by running past the pylons, and I hoped the 30lb fleuro-carbon held good… after a little tussle, up comes a trevally… piccie, then back he goes for another swim.

Checked out the leader, and Oh Boy! All nine feet of it scarred to buggery! Time out for re-rig, then heading back for Deep Water Bend.

Hey, reel's bucking, but not spinning! Might be a little flathead… tiny dusky flattie, all of 31cm… been caught before, out with the lip-grips to hold the head-shaker still whilst the hooks come out, then over the side, together with an invitation for his parents to have a go. They declined, so I paddled on.

The spool remained motionless all the way to Deep Water Bend although I visited all the likely spots in my fading memory, and I decided to pull in at a little break in the shore-line just past the boat-ramp at DWB. I relieved the bladder overload, rinsed the hands and, something I hardly ever do, began eating some Nutri-grain that I took on the trip for the first time.

I'd had a few mouths-full when I heard the ominous sound of approaching jet-skis… looked up, and sure as hell, a couple of them ripping up-stream from Dohles Rocks. Bugger! I'd just pointed the yak into the muddy shore, and the wake from the jet-skis would have me in all sorts of trouble, so I closed up shop (spray-skirt) and backed away from the shore-line.

I then noticed that the jet-skiers had slowed down (I assumed that was for the comfort of mois and the near-by tinnie, and I gave a thank-you wave to them for their thoughtfulness. Then I noticed one of them peel off and head my way… we exchanged greetings, then he announced that he was from Fisheries!

What a giggle! I told him what I thought, and he agreed that it would indeed be a strange occurrence if jet-skiers thoughtfully slowed down for the comfort of others. Of course, then he asked me had I caught fish, and I recounted the above in précis form.

All was OK with me, so away he went to harass all the others on the water, plus a couple of fellows using cast-nets on the nearby pontoon. They must have found something interesting there, as one of them tied up to the pontoon to investigate further… I buggered off upstream.

That's a pretty good, and damn sneaky way, of catching people breaking fishery laws… nobody really looks at jet-skiers, just think of them as a pain in the arse, and hope they don't stop to do some donuts in the fishing area… next thing somebody's asking to inspect your catch!

Good one, Fisheries!

Just out of the residential area, I noticed movement on the trolled line, and on winding in, found I'd hooked a summer whiting, all of 18cm. Of course, he went back to regale his story to his mates below.

Now all of this might seem pretty mundane stuff when others tell of tuna, jewies, cobia etc etc, but I just wish to point out that all these species hit the one innocuous little lure… what possibly was a jewie, bream, big-eye trevally, flathead and whiting!

Koolie's up to its old tricks! It's also been catching snapper, pike, little estuary cod, moses perch and jewies for me out the front at Scarbie, although for quite some time I didn't catch a fish trolling, so I swapped it for others, but still find it's my 'go to lure' after all that. The Big-eye Trev is the 18th species I've caught on this lure.

Nothing eventful followed on the way back to the Suzuki, but allowing for the small time off, I got in 5 ½ hours paddling, some of it against some pretty stiff winds and strong tides, so feel that I've done something towards decreasing the ever-increasing waist line… or slowing it down, anyway.

Cheers all… Jimbo

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hi Jim,

Great trip there and good on you braving the crime scene again. There appears to be a resident now so maybe that's keeping them away. I've never actually had any trouble though. I think there must be something in the water down the pine since you were also half asleep for your first fish. It was exactly the same on my fish also, nothing was bend, so line cut. Just the lure came back without a fish.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
geebz said:
Great report. I fish that area quite but ive never come across any trevors.
I'll say hello to you next time. :D

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
geebz said:
Great report. I fish that area quite but ive never come across any trevors.
I believe it's the fourth one I've hooked in the Pine system, but the first big-eye version.

geebz... beware of those other two... definitely doubtful types! :lol:

Jimbo

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bruus said:
Hi Jim,

Great trip there and good on you braving the crime scene again. There appears to be a resident now so maybe that's keeping them away. I've never actually had any trouble though.
Hey Daniel... do you mean the mobile home I saw up there on Wednesday? I'm really surprised that it's allowed to stay there, but if it deters the low-lifes, fill your boots camper!

I guess it's the passive water that lulls us two off to noddy-land while we're paddling, eh? Can't really do that out the front at Scarby with swells and mean waves slopping all over, hey!

Jimbo

geebz said:
I think you're right. Maybe the best course is to continue to avoid trevs of all forms. :D
Agreed... Jimbo

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Correction please!

I just checked out my data on the koolie caught species, and I've misinformed you AKFF'ers... I've only caught 17 species on this lure.

My apologies!

Jimbo

·
Registered
146 Posts
Single hooks! hadn't thought of that. That's a good idea. good report !

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
Nice to read your fish catching meter continues to keep ticking forward Jim.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Beekeeper said:
I guess it's the passive water that lulls us two off to noddy-land while we're paddling, eh? Can't really do that out the front at Scarby with swells and mean waves slopping all over, hey!
Yep that what I meant. He's been there for about 2 weeks that i'm aware of, keeps a dog with him also which is pretty friendly I think. The water is probably not far off either, it's been a while since I was on flat water and not thinking about lining up drifts and what the swell was doing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.