Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hey all, long time between reports so thought I best post up todays efforts.

Hit up the south pine today with my brother. My aim was to have a play around on the flats with the new rod I built a while back and try get something decent on it. Started at first light and within the first 10 minutes I'd picked up a nice 51cm flattie. This was on the new rod (1-5lb, 1 piece, 4lb fluro straight through on a 1000 size symetre, using a pontoon 21 crackerjack) and was an unreal fight. Really tested out the blank nicely.

m2.jpg

m1.jpg

I didn't catch much for the rest of the day but my bro got a couple of nice flatties (49cm and 59cm) and bream on bait. Decided we'd take home a couple of fish for once so the flatties (3 all up) came home with us to feed the respective families.

Unfortunately I lost a Koolie today too. Always hurts the hip pocket when one of these comes loose from your line but funnily enough when I was stretching my legs on one of the banks I found a lure to replace it. At first it looked like a funny rock (being a geologist I never seem to stop looking at rocks) but on closer inspection was a little hardbody.

c2.jpg

Cleaned it up I cant really make out the writing on the bottom. Looks like it says chubby but I couldnt be sure. From the shape, eyes and colour I suspect it is a jackall chubby like below. So the fishing gods taketh away and the fishing gods giveth.

c1.jpg

Untitled.png

Also saw quite a few other yakkers out there today. A couple of other blokes look like they did alright with a big jew and a couple of other fish. Didn't get a chance to say hi so if they are members here G'day for this morning.

Attachments

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Hiya Evoids

Good report mate - I enjoyed it.

That story of the lure you found is similar to Beekeeper's story a while back. Glad it diminished the Koolie loss somewhat (I hate losing lures too :( ).

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anselmo said:
Any pics of the rod?
Haha yep Nick, I think you've seen it. Its this one viewtopic.php?f=94&t=60267

Since I finished it its only been on the yak about 3-4 times. Been pretty busy lately unfortunately. I did manage to score a couple of little bream the first time I took it out but nothing that could really test it.

kayakone said:
Hiya Evoids

Good report mate - I enjoyed it.

That story of the lure you found is similar to Beekeeper's story a while back. Glad it diminished the Koolie loss somewhat (I hate losing lures too :( ).
Yeah beekeepers story was what came to mind. Thats the reason I took before and after photos!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.