Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I am after a kayak. I have used an Ocean Kayak Prowler Elite 4.7 a fair bit before.

I would like something similar...maybe a little bit smaller.
I am 6"2 and 110kg...would the Prowler 4.1 feel much different to the 4.7?

Anaconda have a sale at the moment.
They have the Prowler 4.1 for $999 but with no rudder
http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Water/Kayaking/Kayaks-and-Paddle-boards/Prowler-Ultra-41-Kayak

And the Necky Vector 13 for $1190 with a rudder
http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Water/Kayaking/Kayaks-and-Paddle-boards/Vector-13-Kayak

I have no idea how the Vector would compare.

Is there a cheaper alternative to the OK rudder kit on the BLA website?

I have been looking for a cheap second hand OK but they are always far away.

Cheers
Cameron

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
Cameron said:
I am 6"2 and 110kg...would the Prowler 4.1 feel much different to the 4.7?

Anaconda have a sale at the moment.
They have the Prowler 4.1 for $999 but with no rudder
http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Water/Kayaking/Kayaks-and-Paddle-boards/Prowler-Ultra-41-Kayak
Cameron, I regularly fish with a mate who is a touch taller than you who uses a P13 [the forerunner to the P4.1] and it is a fantastic yak in all conditions, so to my mind the P4.1 would be my pick even without the rudder.

You will find -4m yaks all track pretty good with an occasional paddle flick on one side to correct any deviation, and of course if you thought it essential you can add a rudder later.

At or near 4m in length yaks, are not as rudder critical as longer boats, my swing is 4.1 has had no rudder for the last 8 years of use, I made a DIY rudder and only attach when wishing to sail.

Having said all the foregoing there are occasions when a rudder would be a benefit when paddling, but to me is not critical.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
I agree with the above. I still have my old Prowler. A pretty much do anything pretty well boat. There is a good reason they have been one of the most popular yaks for many years. At under a grand it seems like a great buy to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone.

My main reason for wanting the rudder is I haven't used a kayak without one...and one day we had 10km into a strong head wind and large chop...that was terrible...it would have been worse without a rudder

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
The Prowler is a great yak. But have to say on those specs I think I'd opt for the Vector.

That said, my 5.5m SIK does not have a rudder and I definitely choose it over my Profisha for many things. Rudder is useful downwind surfing runners when your angle is slightly away from the wind. You get used to no rudder pretty quickly.

Usual applies, wet test both if you can.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
billpatt said:
Where are you Cameron? I have a Prowler 4.5 for sale if you are interested?
Hey Bill...I am 4 hours south of Sydney. Too far to check yours out myself. I was keen but I am transporting it in the back of the ute for now...the 4.5 would stick out too far...

I decided to go for the Prowler 4.1 since I have used similar before and its a more manageable size.

I have been for one paddle and am regretting having no rudder. I was all over the place...there was no wind or swell :d
I should get used to it soon but my concern is when the wife uses it in summer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.