Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
About 18 years ago after the first meat was cut off from sun damage I started wearing all the usual covering up clothing and sunscreen etc.

On my legs I was happy to just wear long summer pyjama pants as worn by many at the Wivenhoe Kayak Convention, cheap and which were as effective as the quality sun pants many buy.

Drawback was being far from dressy had to change the daks before and after each trip rather stroll around town in your PJs.

Reading a sun protection thread on forums a couple of months ago saw a reference to lycra cyclist leggings being good for sun and just had to put on while wearing shorts with out the need to undress all the time.

A look at ebay and found some delivered from Korea at just under $21, black only and one size fits all, so ordered them and arrived yesterday and in a reusable zip carry bag, and look to be ideal subject to testing in the sunlight
IMG_1018.JPG

Wearing board shorts they cover legs completely when wearing divers bootees, and the other leg shows the length and there was much more stretch had it been needed
IMG_1016.JPG

There are no doubt other brands but this is the link to those shown here http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/COOL-LEGGING ... 6481678%26

EDIT 14.6.13 .... First use in full sun for 5 hours and sun protection qualities were up to scratch
IMG_1026.JPG

Attachments

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Richo

Why not wear full length lycra/spandex? Top and bottom. You get full sun protection from wrists to ankles, and, if you ever come off, it is non restrictive for swimming and re-entries.

BTW we have no chance of being mistaken for a ballet dancer...

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl= ... A&dur=3345

:lol:

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Squidley said:
Will a red croc do or will I need a purple one to match the wetsuit boot? Should I use a stainless safety pin to hold up my right boardshort leg?
You're mad. :lol:

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
dodge, very good post.

the tops of the feet are a particularly common spot for cancer as this skin is usually quite white from being in shoes all day and very exposed in a kayak.
i'm a board short and bare foot fan but i like your outfit.
perhaps a small sunscreen dispenser to be put in one of the side pockets of the yak is a good idea. i know how the boys love their accessories

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kayakone said:
Why not wear full length lycra/spandex? Top and bottom.
Trev that sort of clobber does not appeal to me, but not doubting the benefits, and is what I was referring to with my quality gear comment in the opening post.

Barrabundy said:
Do they come in pink
Squidley said:
Will a red croc do or will I need a purple one to match the wetsuit boot?
Squid and Barra it may come as no surprise I also carry lipstick on the yak, I can see from your respective comments, you two are also fashionistas like me thinking of your accessories

grinner said:
i'm a board short and bare foot fan but i like your outfit.
perhaps a small sunscreen dispenser to be put in one of the side pockets of the yak is a good idea.
Pete the leggings are surprisingly comfortable mate, and always carry sun lipstick, and sunscreen on board the yak, ready for a top up a couple of hours after launching.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Richo... I wear the hospital compression toe to knee socks... case of have to, because I suffer from the fat ankle syndrome if I sit in the Acadia for long... and I do.

Looks like shit, but a bloke's gotta do what a bloke's gotta do, eh?

Pink would have looked good... (Barrabundy's good colour sense to the fore.)

Jimbo

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beekeeper said:
I wear the hospital compression toe to knee socks... case of have to, because I suffer from the fat ankle syndrome
Jim I suffer from fat gut syndrome, do you know if there a hospital compression thingo for that mate?

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Dodge said:
Beekeeper said:
I wear the hospital compression toe to knee socks... case of have to, because I suffer from the fat ankle syndrome
Jim I suffer from fat gut syndrome, do you know if there a hospital compression thingo for that mate?
:lol: :lol:

Let me know if you find one...

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Good idea Richo.
I wear the cycling arm warmers to protect my arms.
I wear sports tights, (like skinz but cheaper) on my lower half with shorts over the top.
With booties, gloves and a good hat/neck cover I can pretty much get away with no sunscreen.

·
Registered
171 Posts
keza said:
Good idea Richo.
I wear the cycling arm warmers to protect my arms.
I wear sports tights, (like skinz but cheaper) on my lower half with shorts over the top.
With booties, gloves and a good hat/neck cover I can pretty much get away with no sunscreen.
the per-leg style leggings make it weasier to relieve yourself though ;)

this is my pedaling get-up...

pearlbeach.jpg

sunscreen for face and fingers only :)

EDIT: this is where i got the arm sleeves, leggings and socks from: http://stores.ebay.com.au/Giant-Bicycle

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
I use full length rashy tops and hikers pants with the zip off legs, normal stuff, but, Kmart have the rashy tops and leggings for $20 each in the menswear section, or at least they do here in Batemans Bay.

Incidentally, it was getting sunburnt legs in the yak which alerted my doctor to a health issue I have... "wow look at your bright orange legs, best test you for heamachromatosis .....lol....bugger you DO have heamachromatosis..." it actually did go along those lines...... had a few blood lettings and diet changes and all good....

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Dodge said:
Squid and Barra it may come as no surprise I also carry lipstick on the yak, I can see from your respective comments, you two are also fashionistas like me thinking of your accessories
:lol:

Seriously though thanks for giving us some info on hot weather sun protection, I might find it handy because rubbing SPF 40+ grease into my hairy legs in summer is a real drag

·
Registered
124 Posts
Got an abundant supply of cycle gear and planned on using that for the sunny days. Also intended on using an old pair of quick-dry zip-off pants from my Europe trip (many years ago now).

Protection while on the yak and stylish when off it. :)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Dodge said:
Beekeeper said:
kayakone said:
Dodge said:
Beekeeper said:
:lol: :lol:

Let me know if you find one...
You buggers crack me up! :lol: :lol:

Jimbo

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have cycling arm and leg warmers. (I used to cycle)
Always wear long sleeves on the 'yak, but legs exposed.
Started wearing the leg "warmers" for sun protection - could have kicked myself for taking so long to think of it!
The short ankle zips didn't last that long, but doesn't matter, I just twist the whole thing so the zip is on the back rather than the side.
I wear "watershoes" - like sandshoes but with lots of holes, so I still need a tiny bit of sunscreen around the ankles, as well as hands and face.
"Onesies" (as per Big Kev's pic) might provide protection - but how do you wee? Another advantage of the cycling leggings is when you're too hot you just roll 'em down and dangle the ankles, thus wetting the whole thing to get some evaporative cooling happening.

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
spork said:
Another advantage of the cycling leggings is when you're too hot you just roll 'em down and dangle the ankles, thus wetting the whole thing to get some evaporative cooling happening.
spork what a top idea during summer heat, thanks for your view.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.