Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trout season starts next weekend here in Tassie, but a few waters remain open year round, and fisheries stocked a couple of then last month.
Brushy lagoon got some fish - but it tends to attract lots of d#*%head bogans, so I traveled a bit further afield to meet my mate (and trout mentor) John at Lake Barrington, which had also had 250 big 'bows and 250 big atlantic salmon put into it.

I slept in, but we had arranged to meet about 9:30, so I still managed to get there on time. It was a wet drive out to the lake, and I thought John may have been to sensible to come. This is the view that greeted me.

A couple of minutes later my companion arrived, and we set about setting up and launching.
Wearing multiple layers I felt a bit like the Michelin man, and I managed to hook myself on a lure as I got aboard the 'yak.
The rain was easing, and there was barely a breath of breeze.

Soon after John called out "I'm on!".
He was on. A good fish.It nearly did him on the marker bouys for the rowing course, but eventually he got it into clear water.
He said "my nets not big enough".
I headed over and passed him my net. I don't believe you can have a net that's too big, but having one that's too small can ruin your day.
Here's John, or "Two nets John" as he may be called after today.

Several runs and a missed net-shot later the fish was subdued and landed.

Is that a fist-pump we see? Can't say I blame him, I'd be stoked too.

A pair of posers. :)

Did I mention how pretty this lake is? Especially on a still day with some low cloud for effect.

It was calm enough to make coffees out on the water. Mmmm. Coffee...

Tried up the other way. Even prettier without all the marker buoys, but still no more fish.

In between the pics John caught a little brown that could have been breakfast for the salmon, and I managed to drop one about the same (snack) size.
We chatted to a couple of young, poor blokes fishing from the bank. I know they must have been poor because they were sharing their cigarettes. And coughing a lot. They managed a decent rainbow trout on one of the grubs they were soaking.

By the time we left there were probably another 8-10 people fishing from the shore or from boats. I hope they had more luck than I did, but I still had a great day. It's been too long between trips.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Sensational!

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Fantastic fish and scenery there spork.

Was a tad jealous until I realised you were in Tassie and thought about the temps you would have endured for that fish. It looks fairly bloody freezing.

Kev

·
Registered
291 Posts
Excellent trout mate.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments guys.
BIGKEV - The water was 8.6c, and the air temp about the same.
My hands and feet were a bit cold, but not so bad that I couldn't tie knots. The rest of me was toasty warm, I even had to shed a layer once the rain stopped.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Love Barrington.
Have you ever launched from right up the top near the dam wall?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure if John is a member on here or not, I'll ask him.
Will also ask if he measured it before he smoked it.
I couldn't find my scales, and John had left his at home. He does catch a fair few big trout and salmon and is usually pretty close when he estimates weight. He was calling it 10lb+.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.