Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly let me apologise for regurging something I've pretty much asked before.

I was looking at either the Hobie Quest or Tarpon 120 to use on my kayak fishing tours. However I've just seen that the Perception Pescadors are available for around $499 delivered.

Now the Hobie's/Tarpons are much better featured with pockets and extra wells, foot pedals etc. However for around nearly $500 in savings Im wondering if it's worth picking up the peski instead and maybe putting a hundred or two into them? Both have the same weight rating and I'd imagine wouldn't have a massive difference in speed/paddleability?

Anyone used the Peski's and the alternate and can comment, love to hear any other knowledgeable opinions before I drop $5k this week.

Thanks'
Nathan

·
Banned
3,779 Posts
Well the Pescador is the old Tarpon shape, I had this model in the 10, was alright at the time, reasonably comfortable seat, was stable and tracked OK. Compared to the Quest, it has old school hatches that aren't very waterproof and are a pain to get on and off and if you are going to use them in a Tour business I would say the hatch covers would wear very quick. Also this kayak has no in cockpit storage, so your if your clients need to store their camera,sunscreen and the like where are they going to put it?

Also have paddled and still own a current model Tarpon 120, well my seat is only slightly different as they come with an air mesh seat now, or something like that. Good kayak, stable, good tracking and glide, better hatches. This model has in cockpit storage- meshed areas and a cup holder, good in theory but are water collectors, over time all your gear you store in there becomes wet and soggy. plus the cockpit will be wet especially if you are getting in and out as the water hardly drain to the scuppers. Some Positives is that the seat is adjustable in all directions and the user can get a comfort level that will suit them. Rope lifting handles, not good they swivel and turn and will squash your fingers, same handles used on the Pescador actually

Now recently purchased a Hobie Quest 11 after owning a Quest 13 or two many years ago. The 11 is very stable, tracks extremely well, good glide, holds itself well in oncoming current meaning it stays on track so if fishing rivers this will be excellent. Three Hatches, positive locking and the middle one comes with a hatch bucket, molded in rod holders, Side storage areas that are concealed on the sides of the kayak that drain to the cockpit, cup holder drains to the cockpit and all excess water drains to the scuppers which makes for a drier ride. Solid Lifting handles mid ships, which are sturdy, no squashed fingers. Also on the bottom of the hull at the rear is a replaceable wear skid so if the kayaks get some abuse from being dragged you will get less wear in this area, I have seen some kayaks get very thin in this spot. Also the Quest you should get a paddle in the price, its not too bad a paddle but alot of us keep it as a spare and buy a better paddle. Plus Hobie has the best warranty and back up service in the business.

If you had asked this question a year ago I would have said go a Tarpon, or if you are price conscious go a Pescador but I think long term you would be way better off with the Quest, considering the features and the back up service.

Cheers

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I've placed an order for the Hobie's today. whilst the cheap Peski's from Mainpeak they apparently wanted ridiculous freight prices (despite advertising $20 for bulky items).
Did speak with Wilderness systems but they didn't offer much of a discount.
Stoked as, just got to wait for them to turn up now
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.