Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bruus and I are thinking about spending a night or two on peel early July. Haven't posted this in trips as we are not sure it will come together yet.

What I would like to know is what part of the tide is best for the Cleveland to Peel crossing and the same for Peel to Dunwich. We have a few fishing spots we are keen to try including the artificial reef, the south west reef and also trying for a kingfish around Dunwich (optimistic?)

If we decide to go I will post this in Qld trips.

Thanks people

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks Lapse, I have been looking over your peel trips and you may be right about the artificial reef. Im prob. best to make the crossing without getting sidetracked and getting caught in the currents. Then we can concentrate on setting up camp and hitting up the locations around peel.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
hay scoman, the main thing to remember is that the run in tide runs to the south and the run out to the north.

what you want to avoid is heading over on a run in with a southerly or a run out with a northerly.

the nasty tidal flow chop can be quite awful and then a turn of the tide and all is well.

its not that far to south west rocks, dunwich is a bit of a haul. the car park at raby bay marina is being extended yet again and plenty of parking overnite, fairly well lit and manned 24 hours overnite on weekends.

by all means log on to vmr as you go (just use the phone downstairs) and they will check your car isnt there after your estimated time of return and commence a search :D :D , just kidding, you'll be fine. my favourite island. a lot of boats targeting the artificial reefs on the weekend now. drifting seems to be the go, these are not far from cleveland at all

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks grinner. Car will be left at home, as i live in cleveland now. Just have to hope for good weather now!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.