Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading up to palm cove Wednesday morning, heard that there is mackerel and barra to be caught Off the jetty?I'm taking my 10-15kg gear 6-8 and 3-5kg gear would this suit the area? is there anyone lives in palm cove or around cairns ara and is happy to go for a fish?
Cheers

·
Registered
146 Posts
when I was a bit younger I fished there on a holiday. I know on live bait sharks are an option and apparently some big fingermark near the pylons. i saw some Jewish a guy caught with a cast-net that might also be a bit of fun and if you have no luck with that there is thousands of small livebait around the jetty I don't use bait usually but the ultrabite in 0.5 cm balls and you'll get endless yellowtail and we even got a juvenile queenfish. I was about 10 when I was last there but it can be a lot of fun especially when the fish are around. so yeah livebait under a balloon is always an option. Good luck.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I always see lots of people there fishing but not catching much, if anything. I hear stories of a monster caught from there nearly every week, i think the place fishes up more stories than actual fish, if i cant get them out at double island then I cant see how they get all these thumper fish off the jetty, or maybe im just jinxed!
Best chances would be at night I suspect, always lots of bait about from the lights along the jetty, been there a few times and found the salmon having a crack at them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Lived there for a while. Not much happening around palm cove. Did catch some decent fish from the baron river boat ramp near cairns at night. Also from rocks half way to port Douglas. Got macks,jack,trout and alot of turtles from the rocks on high tide.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.