Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has used acrylic paints or water based paints on rods then epoxied over them any reactions or any rean why you wouldn't use them

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
You can do it but unless you're really good at it, you will add a layer that is difficult to level and to keep thin, which will add weight and therefore sag, especially on light rods

Not sure why you'd do it, except for a restoration project

If you want a white tip for bait fishing try the paints used on model cars, they are more self levelling , very flexible and do them in sections

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
ryan said:
Im going to try a crack effect
It'll crack all over and fall off
The whole point of a crack effect is that is a rigid paint that dries and contracts
Combine that with a flexible lever (fishing rod), and unless you have access to professional level equipment to ensure thin layers, you will have flakes of it everywhere

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will be something near the butt end of the rod so flex wont be an issue and with a layer of rod finish over it wouldnt that hold it in place

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Penno I think u missed what I was after trying to work out a way to do crack effect paints on the butt section its an effect that you can don with water based paints will be hard to transfer the idea to a rod

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok this is a photo of a tester that ive been working on today first coat of rod finish currently drying this will look insane if I pull this off currently working on an old snapped rod my neighbour gave me so I can test it under some bend to tomorrow

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well at the moment its looking like I have 2 problems to overcome the base layer the acrylic green lacks vibrance its a little dull compared to rod paints secind problem and the harder to solve one it seems the finish is quite lumpy guessing this is from the lumpy nature of the underneath I used a light build epoxy would adding another coat or 2 smooth this

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well heres some final dried pics the epoxy has a little hill in the blue but managed to work out how to get a smooth finish and achieve the look I wanted interesting thing brush strokes direct the cracks to a degree to

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.