·
Registered
5,464 Posts
kraley said:
TheFishinMusician said:
kraley said:
I hate lycra.
Hater.
There's a fabulous 21 part doco on lycra usage screening every night this week on Sbs.
The production values are outstanding.
Broaden your mind.
Does the lycrist get brutally murdered, then ascend up into the sky and subsequently spawn a bunch of confused troglydites who incoherently and selectively ape parts of his 'philosophy' that suit their own sick messages?
Are you still talking about the Tour de France?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Personally I think if you're going to buy something with skinny tyres, then just bite the bullet and get a fully fledged roadie. Also don't discredit the Polygon's, probably around the best bang for buck around. Maybe even cellbikes.com.au

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthr ... erspective

a really insightful post by Dozer (for a change) just be careful of Rotorburn, it wastes more of my work time than here :shock:

·
Registered
478 Posts
yakko said:
Personally I think if you're going to buy something with skinny tyres, then just bite the bullet and get a fully fledged roadie. Also don't discredit the Polygon's, probably around the best bang for buck around. Maybe even cellbikes.com.au

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthr ... erspective

a really insightful post by Dozer (for a change) just be careful of Rotorburn, it wastes more of my work time than here :shock:
I'd say stick with the flat bar for the time being. Don't want to sacrifice all the comfort straight up.
Leftie has got you going in the right direction.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kraley said:
TheFishinMusician said:
kraley said:
I hate lycra.
Hater.
There's a fabulous 21 part doco on lycra usage screening every night this week on Sbs.
The production values are outstanding.
Broaden your mind.
Does the lycrist get brutally murdered, then ascend up into the sky and subsequently spawn a bunch of confused troglydites who incoherently and selectively ape parts of his 'philosophy' that suit their own sick messages?
Actually that pretty much describes any mountain stage.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
The Cannondale Quick SL 1 has more room for a gut and there is space to add a basket and a couple of stubbie holders. :)

ps. I have 2 very nice bikes sitting here in the lounge with me that it appears I can no longer ride.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
After speaking to leftie a couple of years ago i got my girlfriend a cross city 1. I ended up getting one for myself, a really nice bike to ride although they were the first decent bikes we owned so i can't really compare them to anything else.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Cell bikes on parramatta road have excellent quality bikes at very good prices. My wife got a flat bar from there and one of mine is a cell roadie. Good shimano gear sets and very helpful.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm no bike guru but I have a flat bar road bike and find that after 40 mins or so my wrists are sore and hands going numb.. If you go this option, consider getting the little extensions that allow you to hold the handle bars on different angles. Post a pic of your new toy!

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
Foxxy said:
I'm no bike guru but I have a flat bar road bike and find that after 40 mins or so my wrists are sore and hands going numb..
Had the same thing, and a road racing cyclist I know said I was leaning to far forward and suggested I lift front of my body so weight was more on my bum.

Planned on going to the bike shop for a new handlebar, and he said "no, go to the tip and find an old bike with bars with an uplift", picked up a whole kids bike for $20 and removed the bars.

4" of uplift and bar still flat, $20 and 45 minutes work cured the problem
100_0553.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
kraley said:
Nice Dodge. Iike the practicl ingenuity.

Reminds me a bit of my fvourite bike as a kid:

I too had one of these as a kid. Got it for my 8th birthday. Proceeded to mount up, swung my leg over the crossbar, and went nuts - first into the gear shifter. Fwarrrk that hurt.

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
Davey G said:
Proceeded to mount up, swung my leg over the crossbar,

Fwarrrk that hurt.
Davey my 2 x wheels showed me pain on dismounting as well, and even stained underneath the industrial lycra

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
100_0281.jpg

Attachments

• Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    88.5 KB Views: 484

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
gra said:
Have done a bit of general set-up stuff, dropped the stem down a bit and moved the saddle around. Will throw on my SPD pedals. I'm thinking about downsizing my larger chain-ring a few teeth, it's a pretty big gap and it's taller gearing than I need. Maybe a pannier rack, definitely some lights and a wireless computer, straight from China for 6 bucks, I'm not too proud.
Gra

I got the runtastic moutainbike pro app for my iphone. It does most of the things that a comp does. I stick it on and in my pocket and away I go - it tracks my movement via GPS.
If you stick in your weight and height, it will also tell you how many calories you burn on a trip.

Disregard if you don't have an iphone

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Bertros said:
Cheers for this Nick. Seems Strava does most of this also for someone who's yet to get serious about it all. eBay search cancelled.
It also links into MyFitnessPal (free) which enables you to log calorific intake (mmm calorific) and also some other apps (pedometer pro - for walking, pushup pro - for push ups and situps pro - not sure what thats for)

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
leftieant said:
Something like a Giant Defy (one of which I own - an 09 Advanced) would suit really well, ifit was within budget. The issue will be fitting panniers to it.
Ant, I pedal an old Giant and wanted to carry stuff occasionally so put a standard flat carry rack on the rear, then got a plastic box cut it in half and rewelded to the rack width with a surround of duct tap to play safe re the weld then zipped to rack, that carries chiller bag with any odds and sods inside, and gave a surprise benefit of acting like a mudguard in rain.

Disadvantage is you have to lay the bike over more to throw the leg over to go for a ride, after you bleed a couple of times [earlier pic] you soon learn... the rig may not be pretty but is efficient.

The Giant Yukon Ute
IMG_1042.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
They look the goods lefite,

The main reasons I suggested flat bar over road was for comfort in position and because of gear options.

If you can get a rear cassette that has a 32 on it (like SRAM apex) that would be ideal and a compact crank without having to go a triple would work nicely. It will make the hills a bit sweeter
A wheel set with a little beef would help riding the bumps a lot better (your arse will be thankfull)

But by all means go for a test on a road bike, you'll know straight away if your up for it. You'll love the ease of speed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.