8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let the banter begin!

NSW team is firming up:

Front Row - Gallen, Farah and Tamou
Back Row - Lewis, Watmough and Bird
Halves - Pearce and (Maloney/Carney)
Centres - Jennings and Morris
Wings - Ferguson and (Morris/Uate/Taufua/Merritt)
Fullback - Hayne
Bench - Gidley, Fifita, Hoffman and (Merrin/Woods/???)

I'm a bit surprised that Bird is in there. I'd rather see both Merrin and Woods in the side. No biggie.

I'm torn in terms of the halves. My heart says Maloney so that there is a well proven 1/2 and 5/8 combination. My head says I don't want my beloved Roosters to be missing both halves for much of the next two months.

I really hope Merrit gets a chance. He deserves it before he dies.

Bring it on!!!

·
Registered
740 Posts
CAV said:
Doesn't matter who plays for you guys the result will be the same.....
Another origin series going QLDs way.
QUEENSLANDER...
Yep x2 , Wearin the jersey right now!!!

Go QUEENSLAND!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
grinner said:

this bloke needs to sell some more health insurance
Martin Bella is just priceless. Poor bloke got used as a punching bag by the chief over and over again :lol:

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Go WA!

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Word is that it's Maloney over Carney. That halves pairing should be cause for Maroon concern if they aren't too nervous.

I have a good feeling about this.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nsw have got it all over us in the forwArds, but at the end of the day, we will always find a way to win.
Merritt has to be in. IMO he's playing better than Morris before he got injured anyway. qld have to find a spot for barba.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Barba would be a brave call at the moment. He's only just emerging from his shell.

Inglis is the big difference. He's scary atm.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ado said:
Barba would be a brave call at the moment. He's only just emerging from his shell.

Inglis is the big difference. He's scary atm.
With billy in this mini slump he's in, plus he seems to maybe be injured, id love to see inglis at the back. I havent seen anyone dominate ever like he is atm. So annoyed he never came to broncos!
They could use barba like they used to use Cronk, just in the last 20 or so to bring that speed to the tiring forwards.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Chooks origin 3 were outplayed tonight by the Storms big 3. Wouldn't be surprised if Cronk gets suspended, it is Origin time after all, Cherry-Evans is more than capable as a replacement. Jennings was caught out of position a number of times tonight, if he plays his normal side he's marking the in form Hodges, if they play him out of position he's marking Inglis.
Chris McQueen should be the last man on the QLD bench, last thing QLD need is a third fullback in the team.
Good for the Sharkies with TC not being picked. We're playing much better without Gallen and Toddy is really showing some leadership.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Duggo said:
Wouldn't be surprised if Cronk gets suspended, it is Origin time after all,
I presume that's tongue in cheek and you're not implying the judiciary is corrupt because that would be a very sad kind of whine. The tackle does look pretty nasty, but Cronk does have a good record and the Judiciary does seem to put a unoffcial loading on big games like Origin and the GF. I reckon it's a 50/50 call. I'd rather see Cronk play. DCE is so much better.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Melbourne's form slump has honestly been Cronk's form slump. I've always written him off as being a bit of a passenger but seeing Melbourne be so crap the last few weeks has changed my mind. Cronk being suspended would be a blessing for Queensland. DCE is killing Cronk in evry stat this year. Having their two halves playing such rubbish football as they are at the moment is looking good for NSW. It finally means that our halves are equal to yours. Thurston, Cronk, Slater, Tait and Hodges (when isn't he though) all have something going on that's stopping them hitting their straps. Regardless of pride, there's not many players that won't hide an injury for an extra 50k a year in Origin match fees.

The Queensland team I don't want to see is this- this would be a 3-0 series.

1. Inglis
2. Slater
3. Hodges
4. Tait
5. Whichever winger they can find that isn't Darius Boyd, nothing about Boyd worries me.
6. Thurston
7. DCE
8.Scott
9. Smith
10. Shillington
11. Harrison
12. Myles
13. Teo

14. Cronk
15. Hannant
16. Gillet
17. McGuire

Luckily that is unlikely to happen.

The NSW team I am completely ok with and think they can do it. There's a couple of total mismatches in NSW favour that they need to target. Ferguson over Boyd needs to happen on a regular basis and Pierce and Maloney are pinpoint at hitting wingers on the fly. Roosters have been in top 2 for tries from kicks for the past years. They also need to isolate Jennings one on one with Hodges. Hodges is shot for speed and actually missed quite a few tackles because of it. He's skill is in the way he slides and his use of his size. If Jennings is on it'll nullify Hodges completely. Morris just needs to hang in there on Inglis. I don't envy the bloke.

The Bench bothers me a bit because I think they''ve stuffed it up again. It needs to Tamou, Farah, Mannah, Bird, Gallen, Lewis starting with Merrin, Grant, Fifita, Watmough on the bench.

Every position on the field can be covered by having Bird and Lewis in the team. Bird can cover halves, Lewis can cover halves, centre and wing. The bloke won a premiership as a winger. He's solid.

Gidley needs to be taken out the back and shot. No one will ask questions.

Moloney and Pierce aren't creative halves, but with Farah and Hayne in the middle of the park they don't really need to be. There are so many of the QLD in form slumps at the moment, and whilst I know regular season confidence means naught for Origin because everyone steps up, I think it's more to do with fitness and injury than confidence.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
koich said:
Gidley needs to be taken out the back and shot. No one will ask questions
:lol:

koich said:
Moloney and Pierce aren't creative halves
I'm not sure about that. They aren't creative in terms of Benji type creative (old Benji that is), running weaves, chips, line breaks, etc. But they are surgical at the moment. Their passing is extraordinary. It depends if Daley can get the mobile forwards and backs to run the angles in time. Jennings knows them, so that's a start. Not sure how well Hayne will fit in with that though.

My concern is Hodges and Inglis running over the top of Jennings. Morris will have his hands full covering for him.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
There's one stat that really worries me about Moloney and Pierce. They have the least amount of forced line drop outs of any combo in the NRL. Building pressure is absolutely needed in origin.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Cronk will get a week for his tackle, which in my opinion was a penalty at worst, commentary in last nights game echoed that opiniin.
Maloney will get off for lashing out with his foot, for little reason, against an unprotected man packed into a scrum.
Watmough is going to be QLD's target for penalties along with Bird, plenty of niggle towards these pair will reap rewards.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah you're right Duggo. You can tell from recent results that there is a significant bias against Queensland.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
And the reality is they're drugged up and the results are rigged thanks to the punters

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Queensland team

Fullback - Slater
Wings - Boyd, Tate
Centres - Inglis, Hodges
Halves - Thurston, Cronk
Back Row - Myles, Thaiday, Harrison
Front Row - Scott, Smith, Shillington
Bench - Parker, Gillett, Te'o/Papalii, McQueen/Cherry-Evans

As a blues supporter, I'm loving it. I hope the Judiciary does NSW a favour and lets Cronk and Shillington off. I love how the best fullback (player) in the world is playing out of position again. I hope they leave out Papalii, or leave him on the bench for most of the match.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Ado said:
I love how the best fullback (player) in the world is playing out of position again.
He could play wing attack and still rip your boys a new one.

1 - 20 of 281 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.