Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Timely warning Troutfisher, especially with winter through to spring on the E coast, when strong SW winds could spell disaster for a hapless kayaker.

It is also worth noting that you cannot read wind speed and sea state (whitecaps) when looking downwind. This is what you are doing on the E coast looking seawards in SW'er.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
troutfisher said:
South Westerly winds can be treacherous down here too kayakone.
Keith
Yep. It is a long way to the next landmass. :shock:

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Off shore winds scare me. That feeling of helplessness as I watch the shoreline get further away just creeps me out. I never go out with a forecast of off shore winds. I also carry a sea anchor with me at all times. I figure I can throw it out if a strong off shore wind blows up unexpectedly so I can limit the damage until it slows to the point where I can make headway against it. No point getting exhausted fighting a losing battle.

The whole scenario gives me the willies.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Ado said:
Off shore winds scare me. That feeling of helplessness as I watch the shoreline get further away just creeps me out. I never go out with a forecast of off shore winds. I also carry a sea anchor with me at all times. I figure I can throw it out if a strong off shore wind blows up unexpectedly so I can limit the damage until it slows to the point where I can make headway against it. No point getting exhausted fighting a losing battle.

The whole scenario gives me the willies.
Ditto Ado.

However, having said that, we all have insurance, should we or BOM inadvertently get it wrong, if we always carry a PLB with GPS, and a marine VHF (and know how to use them). If going out later in the day, you can add bright clothing, reflective SOLAS tape, and a torch/strobe to that list, and you should be a survivor regardless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.