Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
In a weeks time BigPete will be making the long drive from Albury to Batemans Bay to attack the Kingys, being a good mate I took the afternoon off to do a 'Reccy' to make sure he wont be wasting a trip.

So here is the outcome of that 'Reccy', a very very happy day, no Kingys but a very very unhappy Mako of about 2 metres. Sadly by the time I had him hooked up, the GoPro was flat, so I was using the hand held which I had to put down once the action started... enjoy....

Arrived at Broulee Beach just beside Broulee Island and right on the edge of the Marine Park, virtually no swell and smooth oily surface with pretty high temps, hence the reason the Kingys are still around. In this vid, you 'may' notice the almost dismount.... :lol:

Time to grab some liveys and as you can see, no shortage of bait.

Here's what the sounder was showing while this was going on...

Bait Ball.jpg

Bag full of Slimeys, off we go....

Ready To Go.jpg

This where Im headed, about 2k offshore... you can see a white dot on the horizon, thats a boat I was headed out to, Im approx halfway here...

So I arrive and send a livey to the deep, I realise by now that the gopro battery is flat and all I have left is the Olympus so I set this to video. Then after 15 mins I notice that the livey is struggling more than it was previously... I start the cam...and sure enough.....

I had to drop everything as it went ballistic, so the vid stops there as I needed both hands.

At this point Im patting myself on the back for executing a well thought out plan.... until it became apparent that this wasnt a Kingy, it was BIG and strong but not as quick as you would expect of a big Kingy.... so obviously its a shark, the guys fishing in boats nearby have pulled their pics and lines and have come over for a look.... now, i'm not one to pose...but..... I think we put on a good show (for a bloody hour!!!).

Three times I had this thing onto the backing, 300 metres of braid off the reel and whatever I had used to back it was getting thin, I was hoping this was a decent breaking strain, just couldnt remember.

After 30 mins or so I was making headway and I got my first glimpse, and here is where I started to worry, its a Mako a tad short of 2 metres. I have seen the vids and read the storys and I really didnt want this thing jumping anywhere near me, once the guys in the boats saw what it was they backed off, thanks guys.

Another 20 mins or so and its swimming alongside the boat about 10 metres away and a couple down, so, 'when' is a fish deemed to be 'caught'? I think this was, so I cut the line and sat back. By this time i'm knackered and it was only on the way home that I remembered to find the camera.

As I type this my shoulders and back are aching, but its a good ache.

On the way home...

Yes Im happy....

Happy Selfy.jpg

Why wouldnt I be happy?

Trip Home.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Mate...... Awesome. Love the smell of burning braid ! :lol: and 2km offshore :shock: in the "Down & Dirty" Outback is going to get some looks. I can't wait. Hopefully the weather holds another couple weeks.
Back in Florida it was generally accepted that once you had the leader on the real then that counted as a capture. Not sure of the exact ruling here but in my book, a Mako that big from a Yak, once you see it then she's yours. Let her go before the fireworks really light up. The vid of the livies around the bait jig is priceless.
Counting sleeps my friend. Later mate. :-D

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Top report Rob. Envious.

(now to find Broulee Is on GE)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Koich, yes it was absolutely amazingly calm, still is today. Im hoping its half as good when the big fella arrives in a weeks time.

Pete, Im told you should bring your big guns with you, the Kings are in excess of 12 kilos, no way my rig can touch them.... Im going to borrow a heavier outfit. I might even use mono to give me some shock, dont know yet as I also want the line capacity, braid with a long leader might be the go. decidison decisions.... Im guessing you've noticed we've moved away from Wasp Island as the destination? Its gone quiet again. Its been a real hit and miss fishery the last 18 months.

And Trev, it'd be nice if you were down here for this one.... 8) Ill make sure (stars aligning) that you get a go at this place when you make the trip... its pretty special....

And for the doom and gloom merchants, not a leatherjacket in sight.... I'm told this morning that live squid are teh best bet for around here and tehy are available where teh weed beds sit right back on shore, Ill take that option this weekend, yes ANOTHER reccy..... :shock:

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Artie said:
Hi Koich, yes it was absolutely amazingly calm, still is today. Im hoping its half as good when the big fella arrives in a weeks time.

Pete, Im told you should bring your big guns with you, the Kings are in excess of 12 kilos, no way my rig can touch them.... Im going to borrow a heavier outfit. I might even use mono to give me some shock, dont know yet as I also want the line capacity, braid with a long leader might be the go. decidison decisions.... Im guessing you've noticed we've moved away from Wasp Island as the destination? Its gone quiet again. Its been a real hit and miss fishery the last 18 months.

And Trev, it'd be nice if you were down here for this one.... 8) Ill make sure (stars aligning) that you get a go at this place when you make the trip... its pretty special....

And for the doom and gloom merchants, not a leatherjacket in sight.... I'm told this morning that live squid are teh best bet for around here and tehy are available where teh weed beds sit right back on shore, Ill take that option this weekend, yes ANOTHER reccy..... :shock:
I found your island Rob. Is it connected at the moment?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, it has an 'isthmus'.... gotta like that..... apparently this isn't always the case but has been for a long time now.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Bringing the complete arsenal. Dragged out of the shed and cleaned already. Fraser Island bottom bashing gear. HEAVY Overhead stuff. Also got my fav Florida / Bahama bommy bashin spin stick with HSS Shimano, basically a broom stick with big real loaded up with braid. Has landed a lot of Sailfish, Big Mackeral and Grouper (Reef Cod) :shock: you only land the little ones (look on youtube)in the past. Also got my mid size 6500 and 4500 Shimano baitrunners locked and overloaded with new braid. I usually fish light and readily accept the consequences however will bring out the big gun bottom basher and see how we do. Will spool with new mono as cannot afford anymore braid or i might have to move in with you Rob :D
Also bringing the river gear incase the weather drives as up the river. Gunna need a bigger Yak :lol:
Was planning on throwing the Yak on the wagon for this trip but if the gear list keeps growing I might have to bring the Van over just to carry the bloody gear. Whats the temps expected ? Need my kokatats ?
So much want to just load up now and leave this arvo. :D

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trailer, grab a trailer.... a big one 8)

The weather is very warm, this weekend is supposed to be 22 deg, I was more than comfy in shorts and t shirt, I haven't used my wetsuit this year (yet), id bring it, you just may not need to use it.... Ill keep you advised on the temps and forecast.

We have a couple of takers so we may have a nice social crowd on the weekend, I like numbers, less chance of that GWS selecting me..... :shock:

Im building myself a live bait tube, and Ive enough material to build 2, so dont worry about that, its sorted!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nice. I do have a tradies trailer decked out as the Hobie mothership. Rod racks inside, the works. Even roll the swag out inside if I have to. Just didnt want to have to tow it over to the coast if I didnt need to. Will see how much gear I can get in the Falcon and if we run out of room then the trailer will be coming. Or the Van, decisions decisions.
You heard this one before, got to move the new Cruze to get to the falcon thats blocking the Sprinter thats parked behind the tradies trailer beside the camper :lol: . Why do you think i have a workshop, not for work mate, its to store all the bloody toys ;-)

·
Registered
174 Posts
My brother :twisted: sent this to my ol mum, now she is on my case so dont mention big toothy things otherwise we will never hear the end of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
Terrific Artie! Well done and what a rush that would have been.
Mmm,, me thinks my little light gear might not be up for what you did! Still, those kingies sound terrific at 12kg. Not sure heading out in my Hank Parker in Mako territory would be great though.
You've got me excited to head down there. My wife is 36weeks pregnant so might be a tad hard for a while. Maybe one more fish before she pops! :lol:
Talk soon bud.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.