Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a flat sea and a slight SWS wind predicted, Terrigal was the perfect spot for a paddle or pedal, whatever your preference.

Got to The Haven at 5.30 and managed to fill the tube with yakkas for the first time ever. I made it over 12 months ago, but never managed to have everything in the one place and at the right time. I used a mix of wet white bread and sand to berley up and it worked a treat.

Got out of the Haven and promptly lost my favourite hardbody on the rocks. Poor fool me for trolling inside the mark at low tide.

Anyway, dropped the first yakker and trolled very slowly with it hanging a couple of metres off the bottom. Nothing. Nothing at all. Did this back and forth for about an hour, enjoying the most magnificent morning so far this winter. the water must have been around 18 degrees and it was crystal clear.

I settled in at the Southern end of the headland just off The Skillion and dragged up the yakker only to find half of it missing. all down one side of it was gone.....and it was still kicking...barely, but still alive.

Threw down another and then threw another hard body around. Managed to get a small Bonito and a PB Salmon at nearly 70cm. Great fighter, with lots of aerial action on my light rod. great fun.

Then.....zzzzz...zzzzzzzz....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I picked up the big rod and just let it run for another 10 or so metres then wrapped my hand around the spool and well and truly sunk the hook.

At this point, whatever it was decided that third gear wasn't going to cut it. Dropping back to second, this thing hit the skids and headed for New Zealand at top speed. Having never experienced this before, I thought I would settle in for the ride and just followed it, sometimes peddling and sometimes just following. What a buzz.

I must have gone about 200 metres before it decided to hit the 'boost' button and smoked me completely. at least I was left with most of my braid, with only my pride bruised a little.

Whatever you are, I am coming back for you.

Managed another salmon on the way back and just enjoyed fish cakes for dinner.

Must get myself a GoPro...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bertros said:
Very very sharky.

That's a huge ***** for this side of the continent too Showbag. Well done! Any pics on a brag mat or ruler of the catch?
Yeah, Yeah. I know. If there are no photos, it didn't happen.

Haven't got it all together yet but will make sure I get a brag mat and waterproof camera for next trip.

thanks for the comments.

It probably was a shark, although I was broken off on the braid, but a shark would have bitten me off on the line...perhaps. I am dreaming it was a King.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm only new so I've just been checking out the posts for the Central Coast.
Funny you say that, I was trolling off the front of the skillion last week (Only managed 1 50cm Bonito) with Rapala Magnums. ;-)
But two weeks ago I experienced the best trip I've ever had!! ... Dolphins were coming right up next to the outriggers on the way over to Avoca rocks. :eek:
I managed a 58cm Bonito within 10mins of trolling (Garnets diving and fish boiling up right next to the yak!) But the highlight was getting spooled (Serious, never had it happen before!) a few minutes before hooking the bonito. I'm not sure what it was? It never seemed to slow down...my mates reckon it was a big hoodlum king but I'm not sure! :D
I also caught 1 salmon and 2 other bonnies. ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NIce report.

Do you season the bonito fillets with anything? Always used bonito as strip bait, but wouldn't mind doing a bbq next time.

Tony

·
Registered
42 Posts
Showbag,
This was actually the first time I tried fillets on the BBQ, they turned out pretty good! I seasoned them with a few herbs and rolled them in foil straight on the hotplate of the BBQ.
I have a mate who actually keeps Bonito for sashimi. He reckons the thinly sliced fillets with soy sauce are beautiful! :eek:
They are also the best bait to use, either as strip bait or whole. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.