Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
worked a new area i havnt fished before yesterday in sydney harbour proper, the plan was to suspend 2 live baits off the bottom and burley hard 1 hour each side of the tide change targeting my nemisis john dory early season. instead of just sitting there enjoying the scenery and playing with my phone i took the 20lb spinning outfit along and peppered every sqaure meter i could with a 100mm black and gold squidgy paddle tail as ive heard of just a few jew caught in the area. the dory plan failed as the livies either got mauled by jackets or sharked continually. the hook up came on the plastic as there was about 1 min of light left before pitch blackness. felt a sharp tap on the drop and next flick the certate started screaming. a little out of my comfort zone not hoooking up on 50lb braid matched to a jig stick. lost heaps of braid on the first run to the point where i started checking the spool and then the classic big head shakes started inbetween serveral 20-30m high speed runs. i still had 2 livies down and was tied up to a bouy so i had to unclip and peddle as the jew neared the yak to get away from the mooring rope and keep the livies up off the bottom and behind me out of the way, worked well i have no idea how you would handle that in a paddle yak without slashing through both lines and leaving 45ft of braid + terminal tacke in the harbour? i thought the fish was ready to net and then he dived under the outrigger and then under the yak so i had to jump on the tramp and spear my rod into the water up to the reel to bring him back up. got lucky the line didnt touch the peddles. funny how some jews are lazy but some go hard as.
i do get a bit over excited when i catch these fish enjoy the vid ...........

·
Registered
136 Posts
What a great fish. well done.

Equally impressive is the lighting set up you have on your yak. Can you show us a few pics of the lighting?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Showbag said:
What a great fish. well done.

Equally impressive is the lighting set up you have on your yak. Can you show us a few pics of the lighting?
mate i have nothing special your just seeing the reflective tape lit up by my head torch or phone flash.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gatesy said:
Great stuff mate. Lovely fish. Ever considered a little wire and some fun on the small sharks?

cheers

Gatesy
definatly on the list mate,
ive caught 8 bronzies on big squid baits and mono trace since december around a meter. dont often get bitten off but these livies were tiny as they come and prob swollowed whole. problem is for every shark i reckon there is a giant ray that takes 30mins to get to the yak or busts you off.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Unreal fish Steve - well done. Looks like those John Dory eluded you, huh? ;-)

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Nice one Steve. A good reward for your efforts.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
QUALITY!!!!
Jealous. So very jealous.

Oh by the way superb fish and a valid reward for the hours and planning you put in. Well done.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Nice one Karnage, Steve Irwin would be proud.

And pleased to see you respectfully opted to use some lighter sporting gear, instead of scull dragging the boy. ;-)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Certainly cracked the code Steve and now epanding to plastics. Maybe it's time to have another crack at night jigging.
Missing you at Longy, I know the light can be a bit bright though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.