Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for the brains trust of the forum. I am going to be making the drive up from Melbourne to the sapphire coast for a boys trip on the long weekend in a couple of weeks. I know from previous years rockhopping that the salmon are everywhere this time of year, but now with the kayaks we will be able to target more fish, which leads me to the question of what else is around this time of year? (snapper, kings, flatties, bonito etc).
Any input from locals would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
18 Posts
Was fishing yesterday at George's river in Sydney, caught 4 flatty and also a trevally but even a 60cm salmon up in the bays. Salmon were busting up all around us.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Scott. We are actually going to be on the far sth coast so i dont know if the fishing is much different to the sydney area. We also dont have the most capable offshore yaks so will only be staying in close on the good days. I am fairly up to speed with what the estuaries will produce as we have been doing this trip annually for about 11 years with open style canoes. As this is the first time for the yaks we are planning to try get some fish from the inshore reefs that we could not reach with surf rods.
Thanks
Dave

G

·
Large Australian Salmon are going nuts at the moment and the occasional small Tailor joins the fun.

When the Salmon are on and while ever they are, I target them exclusively and can do it on the beach within an easy stroll. My yak has been on the hooks for months while I chase them off the sand. I don't have any direct feedback on anything else other than Gannets a diving everywhere on Slimey Mackerel. With Slimeys in large numbers, other predators shouldn't be too far away.

Indirectly, I have some visitors arriving late in the week and are booked for some time on a charter boat. The charter operator says Morwong, Snapper and slight possibility of a King. I'm hoping for my first King but didn't take great confidence from what was said.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
The Kingy Ground off Ulladulla has been going nuts for the last couple of weeks - its a fair paddle to get out there (5kms) - but with that ground fishing well then it's certainly worth knocking around the islands and points in closer to land. I heard rumours of kings being lost off Tabourie Island before the rain last week.
There's acres of big salmon around too - they've been around every time I've been surfing for the last 5 or 6 weeks.
Its a great time for snapper too - all the usual spots should be producing, and I'm sure it'll be possible to discover a few secret spots too.
Enjoy your trip.
Regards
Greg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your input everybody. It should be a good trip for the salmon as it always has been this time of year there. I probably should have mentioned that we will be fishing anywhere between wonboyn and pambula. Good to know that the snapper will be around as we dont have alot of them in melb this time of year.
Counting the sleeps now ;-)
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.