Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Have been struggling with motivation of late and when I have got out it has been more about exercise than anything. Have taken to walking a reasonably bare AI single hull on bike trailer to Ramsgate Beach about 1km away and launching with primary purpose of racking up some distance with paddle.

GOPR0135.jpg

I have had at least one rod with me, and mirage drive in case the urge to fish gets to much, but spent most of the time just paddling. Have never paddled much but am really starting to like it as a source of much needed exercise endorphins. Chased some birds around today for no luck before heading over to Towra and taking a breather whilst peppering the beach with plastics trying to rustle up a lizard. Had no luck and with sun starting to set headed back towards Sandringham baths towing a 100mm squidgy fish and pink Flaty-Rat.

GOPR0125.jpg

Just as I got into the deeper water around the channel markers the squidgy fish got hit, zzzz-ping. Busted off at the leader knot. Given focus on paddling and fading light I was tempted to just stow the rod but the endorphin rush gave me just enough motivation to re-tie. Whilst drifting aimlessly the flaty-rat got smashed and a 50cm angry lizard was quickly muscled into the kayak. Really was a circus for a while as I had a paddle plus two rods across my lap, rod holders turned in to allow for paddling, 3.5 ft of hairy legs, big landing net and one very angry flat head all in cockpit. These new rubber landing nets are really not big enough for a pissed off flathead and I felt like the Swedish chef in the Muppets for a while. Somehow I got fish into the keeper net, equipment separated and continued with the paddle for no more excitement.

GOPR0133.jpg

Got back just before dark with the blood running hard enough not to feel the cold too much. Quick hose down at launch site ready to wheel rigged kayak straight into garage to dry. Whilst there are prettier and fishier waterways around Sydney I'm really starting to enjoy the fitness side of paddling and ease of launch locally. Maybe I would look good in a rashy on glass....is it OK to target flathead from a stealth?

Attachments

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
eric said:
Have you tried getting to the launch spot with a bike?
Yeh, used to tow down on bike but realised it was nearly as quick to walk and saved time conecting up bike and securing at beach. Was thinking today of pulling out bike for longer trip down to Capt Cook bridge to try for some Jewies.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Of course it's ok.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
One of the un-sung pleasures of the AI. I use mine the same way quite a lot and have found a love for paddling but I do love the flexability to jump on the pedals when a fish interupts the paddle. I have been looking at some of the photos coming in from morning and evening paddles in the past couple of days and hope it holds up for tomorrow morning when I should be heading off shore but this time with big bird fully rigged for a bash at the south coast snapper...

cheers

John

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
badmotorfinger said:
Really was a circus for a while as I had a paddle plus two rods across my lap, rod holders turned in to allow for paddling, 3.5 ft of hairy legs, big landing net and one very angry flat head all in cockpit. These new rubber landing nets are really not big enough for a pissed off flathead and I felt like the Swedish chef in the Muppets for a while.
How to get into trouble with really trying. You crack me up. :lol: :lol:

Making donuts....

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
john316 said:
I have been looking at some of the photos coming in from morning and evening paddles in the past couple of days and hope it holds up for tomorrow morning when I should be heading off shore but this time with big bird fully rigged for a bash at the south coast snapper...
Good luck with the snapper. Weather really has been sensational lately. I was driving past the bay about 1100 today and it was completely glassed over. Not even a boat wake disturbing it - was almost eery. Amazing the difference in Sydney waterways on weekdays.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
You just need to learn to pedal and paddle at the same time, like the big man Red, then you wont need a ski to go faster. ;-)

Great effort, buggered if I'd walk the kilometer from my house to the water even though its down hill all the way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.