Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Avayak and I met at the ramp at 04:30 and rechecked the forecast as it looked a bit blowy on site. Westerly winds predicted, 8 knots and 8 degrees C woulda been sweet but we ended up freezing our nuts off and paddling like screaming banshees into white caps on the way back. I had a touch but no hookup and Gary scored a small but legal pinkie that he released. I got a couple of photos that give me PTSD symptoms when I look at them. Enjoy indie.
P1000545 2.jpg

P1000546 2.jpg

Attachments

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Iced indeed. Toughen up lads (ladies). It looks nearly smooth, though a trifle chilly.

At least you got out ... we've had strong winds and rain for a few days. All going stircrazy!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Waves were fairly small because of the offshore Trev. Wasn't too bad snugged up behind the headland. Trouble was if you did not have a drouge out it was next stop NZ. Double thumbs up for the Kokatat dry pants. Sat in the Evo puddle for a few hours and emerged with a dry butt. Why harden up when you can gear up.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trev I couldn't take a photo of it when it got rough on account of the risk of being blown to NZ every time I stopped paddling. It was kinda cool to see half a foot of wind waves rolling outwards against the 1m swell rolling inwards and the whitecap spray in the face was quite refreshing. I found the only way to make headway was to stow all the rods and holders to reduce drag. I also think I need to lengthen my paddle a bit so more of the blade gets underwater with each stroke, at the moment about a fifth of it is out of the water and you need all the torque you can get when fighting wind and runout tides. By the way if you look closely at the first photo you'll see the very attractive westerly wind ripples racing past my yak as I had the drogue out enjoying a leisurely 3 knot drift.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Same same for me out of Malabar guys. Swung by Gordons bay before dawn and with a bit of swell decided not to risk the rock monster.
Malabar was fine, stronger than forecast and crisp alright.

No fish, lost a small thing and another suspected squid.
Had the sea anchor out, needed it. Shelter out the front in the lee of the cliffs, but coming back it was head on.
Highlight of the morning was seeing 2 big humpbacks just at dawn, breaching clear of the water about 300m out.
Magnifique....

Christened my own pair of Kokatat paddling pants, my RTM Disco is a very wet ride, 1st time ever I've sat in a puddle for hours and been toasty warm and dry.
Probably the best bit of gear I've ever invested in... I'm smitten!

Dave

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're right about getting the willies with offshore winds, they demand full respect and a complete complement of safety gear and a buddy Trev.

Gary's dry leggings in the carpark compared to my soaked and blisteringly cold sharkskins convinced me of the beauty of the kokatat pants and a parcel should arrive for me today. I think I'll still wear my sharkskins underneath, fishing without them wouldn't feel right somehow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.