Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a dose of the cabin fever so headed out today.

This has to be the ugliest fish I have ever caught. No way can it compare to the beauty of Summer pelagics and if the other Snapper think like I do then this is the reason it was sitting on its own on the sandy bottom. Three pictures submitted to help you make your own mind up. I note that nature endowed it with a big knob and "botox" lips somewhat like some other species.

Grant

Attachments

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Nice one Grant. :shock: Conditions look tough

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
What a pill for cabin fever!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Holy crap Grant, you are the king.
I know some girls that would kill for lips like that.
Top effort...... again

Brendan

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
This has to be the ugliest fish I have ever caught
It's a tough call, Grant. Some of your other colossal snapper had unsightly heads. That one is pretty ugly though.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
That is indeed one ugly fish, I wouldn't recommend eating, I'll pm you my address and I'll do some research on it. :)

ps. maybe just spike the next one and leave the baseball bat at home.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all (except Paul) for your kind remarks. Perhaps we do end up looking like our pets/fish we catch and it does have a big knob..... I still think that it is a particularly unattractive fish

Seriously though. It is not easy and I put in a lot of planning and effort to make it happen. I catch very few little uns because of a lesson I learned out the back of my house where I hand feed the Bream in summer. The little fellows are always bold and zapping about chasing the food. They much more readily eat from my hand. The kilo plus fish sit well back just watching and taking the odd morsel out of the mouths of the smaller ones. When I fish for Snapper if I am getting bites, I move away as these are not the fish I want. The little ones are faster are bolder so I need to be 10m away and get a quick result before the hordes arrive. In my limited experience, the big fish do not bite, just take hold of my offering and go--no need to strike. Maybe this is the secret to my success.

Grant

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Congrats Grant, there's always a lot of thought involved in regularly catching big fish. Once you have got it sussed it seems so easy, but if it was that easy we would all be catching them that big. I think it is fair to say that you are the undisputed big knobby king. Also can you please get a length on these beasts to satisfy my curiosity. BTW how's the pelagic chasing plan going?
Regards Chris.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.