Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Winter has been slow to take it's place this year but it has finally started to bite.
At this time of year in Sydney it becomes harder to find inshore action. The kings thin out, more trips are donuts and Carnster keeps slaying them up North. The yellow mist starts to fade and is replaced by something else, something thin, something silver, something toothy. Werehoos.
Sunday was a gorgeous day, the rain through the week had petered out and the Westerlies had died. I spent the day in the Cowan with my family and planned to piggyback a hairtail mission that night with Keza and SBD. By three o'clock the sun had disappeared behind the sandstone bluffs and cast shadows down into the deep cold water. We joked that "baddies" lived in that shadowy world, they do!

P1020185.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Wicked!

How many did you get? Was Waratah Bay lit up like a Xmas tree from all the boaties yet?

On my to-do list this winter again.

Marty

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
They are mean lookin' fish Gary. :shock:

I fear I am going to have nightmares.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dru said:
Fabulous! Thought it was early for these guys.
Sometimes they come in earlier Dru. We have caught them at Easter before. I made an earlier trip with zero result and I know of two other unsuccessful attempts. PaulB looks for the wattle to bloom.
Marty75 said:
Wicked!

How many did you get? Was Waratah Bay lit up like a Xmas tree from all the boaties yet?

On my to-do list this winter again.

Marty
We caught six between us Marty but dropped many more. They were very timid, just mouthing the bait and holding on to it. We tried striking early, feeding them line and then striking. You thought you had a solid hookup for a while and then they would drop it. Size ranged from 1.5 to 1 meter. We fished where we usually go with the yaks. It was fairly quiet with two other boats there most of the night and a couple of boats that didn't stay long. I expect it will get busier now since I saw a report on Sydney Angler titled "Hairtail are on!", so word is out.
We found that they would come on the bite for a few takes and then go off for a while. Kerry pumped out the burley and kept a swarm of yakkas close by so that definitely helps.

I cooked mine braised in the wok with chilli, garlic and ginger. Very good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.