Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this was my second attempt at trying to catch a trout in lake lyell (i'm a trout virgin), the first time was boat based earlier in the year, trolling the surface and downrigging for a donut.

This time I was in the Yak, I trolled around for about 4 hours from first light, again for nothing. I've been trolling a tilsan minnow in brown trout pattern and a few tassie devils in pinks \ browns \ oranges and a few small rapala type minnows. I've made a few lure donations to the lake to honour the gods and yet they still are unwilling to come to the party.

Anyone who has any comments to help me break my cherry would be appreciated (including suggestions of other destinations).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Broseph,
I haven't fished Lyell for years, but my suggestion is that this time of year (spawning time) it is best to try up the back of the lake - as far up the Cox's River arm as possible to get into the narrow shallower water close to where the fish enter the river for spawning. They tend to congregate there before running up the river - and the slabs hang around there after coming back down again. Try the lures you have - small brown trout pattern lures (with the red dots on the sides) or anything with red or orange. I'd also work cast lures around the weed beds up there - and try some very lightly weighted drifted glow bugs on a light soft plastics rod.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Back when i use to fish Lyell my mate the baito would generally take the best fish of the trip on powerbait or live yabbies. If you are a lure fisho take the advice given to you by KBK1.

·
Registered
141 Posts
what you are doing will work now but not as well as it would during spring. make sure you target the sunken timber and other structure. as what has already been said go up the back of the coxs and farmers creek arms at this time of year. wait another 3 months then get back there with some polaroids and target the cruising browns in the main basin and the sandals creek arm. bait lure or fly, use the yak to get to the lesser fished banks then hop out and walk the bank very sloely and keep an eye out both backward and the direction your walking. small lures especially walures if you can get them in brown trout patern. fish no heavier than 6lb and if using braid use a long 20+ft leader bait wise small yabbies and mudeyes are perfect. just cast 25-30 feet infront of the fish and wait for the fireworks. i have seen some monster browns in there 10lb plus but average fish 3-6lb.
when they cruise is usually mid morning. i usually fish bait until from 4am till 8am then go looking for a brown or two.
good luck tight lines and screaming drags
phil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.