Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi all.

Just a quick trip report on a trip Sibbo and I had at the south coast last weekend.
Started with Sibbo arriving at my doorstep and all my gear ready to be packed into his car.
Unfortunately Sibbo had clocked a roo and smashed the front of his car, limped to my place so we took my car instead. That is two car incidents in two trips! What is going on? :?
So headed down to Depot with the hope that the MASSIVE seas and wind had died away. Unfortunately when we arrived it was kicking up and we reluctantly headed to lake durras for a fish.
When we got there it was nice and warm so we left all our warm clothes in the car, then spent the rest of the day freezing as the wind picked up and the clouds came over. Sigh :(
Anyway, we prospected around with blades and SPs with not much to tickle our fancy. So we headed for our favourite spot and Sibbo progressively racked up his tally. I was in donut territory and Sibbo had gotten into one of a billion little tailor that kept smashing his lures. I in the end caught some but was lean at this stage.
So the jibes and insults were flying from Sibbo. I told him I would come good and I was true to my word.
Sibbo managed to finally hook a flathead and then there was this purple patch which was great fun. We were peddling to a new location and I couldn't be bothered putting a trolling lure out so dragged my zx-30 along and it was bumping nicely along the bottom. When we hit this little drop off, zzziiinnnggg I got smashed. Nice bream in mid 30s. I then had a cast around the area and couldn't catch a thing so I went back around and chucked the lure back and trolled along as per before, BANG, another bream. Then another and then a flathead and another flathead. Weird. No matter what cast and retrieve I tried I couldn't emulate the action to catch fish.
The last one was a cracker, it took off like a freight train and I got it in and Sibbo took some photos.

40cm bream - south coast - 5-5-13.JPG

40cm bream - 1 - south coast - 5-5-13.JPG

I finally cracked the 40cm mark on my yak caught bream so was well pleased. A good fish for durras as I've not seen them much bigger there.

So all in all it was a good day.

Not sure why the slow troll and bouncing along for a blade worked and no other retrieve would entice them. If this can be explained by anyone I would be happy to hear some theories.

Hopefully next time we won't damage our cars!!!

:D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
pity about the roo... that's the toll Canberra pays for playing in my back yard... (kidding)

The seas have not been helping out those who have to do 9 to 5 weekdays but patience will eventually see a decent weekend, got everything crossed and hoping... One of my last reports had a similar thing with the trolled blade but as I had never caught anything on blades I didn't think of it as remarkable. I did manage to convert the trolled success to cast and retrieve though.

Its a great spot to head to is it not?- if the sea is up just drop around to the lake...

next time I hope you manage to avoid the wild life

cheers

John

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Gee might have it with it hitting the bottom. That seems to work, but in rocky/snaggy areas is expensive.

Brant did you upgrade the hooks on the blade? I finally bought some blades, but the hooks look miniscule.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BigGee said:
Very nice Bream, especially for Durras. The big Storm the other week opening the mouth a bit wider again and filling the lake may have let some bigger critters in there but that guy does not look like the uber silver shiny ocean type Bream.

Nice fish, did you release it?

Anyway, I suggest the blade popping along the bottom on a slow troll was probably just bumping up little bits of silt a bit more that got the fish's attention over that of the slow retrieve off the bottom did not. Just goes to show the profitability of varying retrieves I suppose.

Trolling in Saltwater lakes can pay off massively but it can be a gigantic pain in the arse too if there's any manner of week floating in the water.

Gee
Makes sense Gee. Thanks for explanation. Yes I sure did let it go. Let most of them go, all the big girls and only keep the occasional smaller models for a feed.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kayakone said:
Gee might have it with it hitting the bottom. That seems to work, but in rocky/snaggy areas is expensive.

Brant did you upgrade the hooks on the blade? I finally bought some blades, but the hooks look miniscule.
No I didn't trev as those small hooks are uber sharp and strong. The hook up rates are terrific too. I like you was sceptical at first but they are great lures and hooks and I have caught some big fish on them

·
Registered
76 Posts
BigGee said:
Very nice Bream, especially for Durras. The big Storm the other week opening the mouth a bit wider again and filling the lake may have let some bigger critters in there but that guy does not look like the uber silver shiny ocean type Bream.

Gee
Its been an action packed few weeks. That storm your refer to happen to be my wedding day - at least something good came of that crappy weather :D

Great report Brant. I'm glad you up'd your game as the day went on!!! Thanks again for driving! Pretty bloody annoyed about the car! Could have been worse but still managed at least 1500 worth of damage and off the road for repairs for a week or two.

Should aim to try an sneak in a snapper session before I head to the Cooks and you add another to the family.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.