Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
On Sunday my dad and I went for a fish at Pittwater. We were greeted with warm sunshine, a welcome change from the last few days of rain - which had caused the water to be murkier than expected. We launched from the northern end of Careel Bay/southern end of Barrenjoey, and proceeded to fish the nearby moorings with SPs. We had a few small bites, but the only fish caught was a decent trevally, which put up a good fight on my 5lb outfit (released).
image.jpg

After the pickers had moved in, we ventured out to deeper water, on the other side of the bay, where dad caught a 30cm or so bream on his handline.

We then paddled closer in to the bank, anchoring near some submerged rocks and a drop off, and continued to flick our SPs.
As soon as I had finished tying on my tiny ecogear blade...
zzZZZzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
...Dad hooked up to something very solid. His rod arched as his reel screamed. The enormous bend in the rod meant that it was either a shark (we have seen bronze whalers caught in Pittwater), or the elusive mulloway. Considering that sharks don't (if ever really) take SPs, it had to be the latter.

Dad continued to slog it out, with a beast that wouldn't budge. His 4-12lb rod was struggling to handle the fight. He managed to turn the fish, and then it surfaced from the depths. It was bigger than we had expected, and we were overcome with excitement as we brought our first jewie yak-side and hauled it aboard with the net.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

As we were focused on keeping the fish alive, and pumping with adrenaline, the photos were unfortunately not great (I'm holding the fish, as I landed it with the net) - however I'm sure it's a fish we won't forget anytime soon. I managed to get a decent measure with the paddle, and as the photo shows, I am fairly certain that it was easily a metre long.
image.jpg

As the fish was caught in only 7.5m (notably 18'C) of water, and we were so careful with the fish - only keeping it out of the water for a couple of minutes, it swam off unharmed without any complications.
My dad caught the jew on an 80mm squidgy fish in silver fox on a 9g, 4/0 squidgies jigjead - and pinned it perfectly in the corner of the jaw.

After that we paddled over to the Basin, where I caught a 24cm hood calamari and dad caught a small cuttle. The calamari joined us for dinner, but the cuttlefish was released.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Ripper report Callum!

Top marks for the release.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bjfisherman said:
big fat congratulations.

great report and pics.

I will be going to sydney this summer and trying to sort out launch spots. What was your launch area like? Parking etc,
Cheers.
The launch spot wasn't great itself as there was a steep rocky drop off and a bit awkward, but it is instant access to a decent area and free parking. The easiest launch spot for the northern end of Pittwater would be Barrenjoey/Palm beach flats, but you have to pay for parking and it gets busy. A good spot to launch at the south end is Bayview, and you don't have to pay for parking.
kayakone said:
Ripper report Callum!

Top marks for the release.
Thanks K1.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks carnster

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks stippy. I have always thought it was simply a matter of time until we ran into a jewie while flicking plastics, but the funny thing was that I said before we left in the morning that it wasn't worth targeting jewies as it takes a lot of planning. Can't wait till I get mine :D

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Callum... you said The enormous bend in the rod meant that it was either a shark (we have seen bronze whalers caught in Pittwater), or the elusive mulloway. Considering that sharks don't (if ever really) take SPs, it had to be the latter.

A mate and I went fishing in yaks at Scarby one day several years ago, him for the first time in a kayak. We both drifted using the electric chicken coloured Snap-back soft plastics, and although we fished an area where I'd been catching snapper regularly, he caught snapper, and I caught sharks, and sharks only. The biggest one that I had on would have gone at least 170cm... it showed by leaping sky-wards, then cut my leader.

He was quite amused... my spot and he caught all the fish!

Over some years, I've caught at least a dozen sharks, mostly on soft plastics. Thankfully, the mulloway I've caught on them number lots more than that.

Nice jewie, tell your Dad.

Cheers Callum... Jimbo

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Beekeeper said:
Callum... you said The enormous bend in the rod meant that it was either a shark (we have seen bronze whalers caught in Pittwater), or the elusive mulloway. Considering that sharks don't (if ever really) take SPs, it had to be the latter.

A mate and I went fishing in yaks at Scarby one day several years ago, him for the first time in a kayak. We both drifted using the electric chicken coloured Snap-back soft plastics, and although we fished an area where I'd been catching snapper regularly, he caught snapper, and I caught sharks, and sharks only. The biggest one that I had on would have gone at least 170cm... it showed by leaping sky-wards, then cut my leader.

He was quite amused... my spot and he caught all the fish!

Over some years, I've caught at least a dozen sharks, mostly on soft plastics. Thankfully, the mulloway I've caught on them number lots more than that.

Nice jewie, tell your Dad.

Cheers Callum... Jimbo
Thanks mate. I'm pretty sure I've seen a shark take an SP on a fishing show, and have seen sharks take minnow lures both on TV and in real life. Do you get turtles on SPs as well? :twisted: :lol:

Cheers Jeffen.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
CLJB said:
Thanks mate. I'm pretty sure I've seen a shark take an SP on a fishing show, and have seen sharks take minnow lures both on TV and in real life. Do you get turtles on SPs as well? :twisted: :lol:

Cheers Jeffen.
You betcha life... double hookup once... couple of times on hardbodies as well. :(

Jimbo

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Beekeeper said:
You betcha life... double hookup once... couple of times on hardbodies as well. :(
Jimbo
I have an idea as to what thats like having caught birds on hardbodies, and had a double hookup with dad on as well. :(

Thanks again to all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.