Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

North Coast 7th June

9K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  FitzroyFisher 
#1 ·
I heard a whisper that the odd Wahoo is still about so loaded up the big gear but threw in a couple of lighter rods and a small pack of Pilchards to cover my options. I have never really done much winter fishing as I feel the cold however, today was a cracker-flat seas, warm and water temp of 20 deg.
Trolled the big gun out for a couple of K's without a touch but abandoned this idea when the screen showed lots of classic arches and bottom fish. Dropped a bit of Pilchard and gave the rod a wiggle for the first fish. Then another and 2 more.
I kept the first 2. I think that if it is that easy all the time then I am a convert. All done by 10am. Perhaps there was some skill involved that I have yet to identify

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I think you need a job, Grant...... leave some fish for the rest of us.
Great knobs.
That first one has to be well over a metre.

#6 ·
bruus said:
Wow they are huge, well done. They seem a bit heavy in the last pic :)
Nup. Not heavy at all. He hasn't caught a marlin for a few weeks and is just wasting away. :D

Good onya Grant!

#8 ·
grant ashwell said:
I think that if it is that easy all the time then I am a convert. All done by 10am. Perhaps there was some skill involved that I have yet to identify
I think its knowing what it is and what to do, when you see it on the sounder.... and thousands of fishless hours honing that skill to a point where you take it for granted.

#13 ·
Well done, exciting stuff. Sure gives us all a buzz of excitement.
You have mastered summer fishing, and now rewriting the winter books - things to do in the winter? and catching some record snappers in the winter.

The place looks so familiar, but seems to be caught in New Zeeland, where they all grow that big?

Does anyone have a job of Grant?
We need to get you off the water and save some for us.

#16 ·
Interested to know if you got them on the snapper snatchers your rods are sporting?

#18 ·
Thanks for reading and the comments...Well, all but the Alf from Summer Bay. He is no-where as flash on the screen as I am..

I was 2 k out fishing a small section of flat rock bottom well away from the regular haunts. I mark everything interesting when I troll during Summer.

I was using a style of Snapper Snatcher-another NZ product that took my eye when I visit. Mackeral colour but brand forgotten.

Ate one fish last night and it was superb. In good with Deb now as she is not so keen on my Summer catch or lack of eating fish.

Grant

#25 ·
Didn't take any measurements. Being new to Snapper fishing I did not think that they might be unusually big. Well, I knew they were big but not exceptionally so and I kind of thought that they all had ugly heads. I lost a far bigger one -well it felt much darn bigger.
It must have been luck though as I took the son out yesterday and the reefs were bare except for one big hit that Tyler had which broke off at the knot. He had the rod doubled over.
I noted that there were still Mackeral present on the thermocline but at 20 deg they were too sluggish to entice.

Grant

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.