Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

being a very long way from fishable water..... as I am currently living in Bandung, West Java, Indonesia....... I decided that I needed another expensive hobby to get into to occupy my time.....

Well actually I bought my son a Nitro R/C Buggy for his birthday... and we had so much fun.....(read.... I had fun, and he got sick of my using it more than him....) that I decided that I needed my own toy..... so went to the local r/c shop and treated myself to a 1/10 scale nitro powered Monster Truck..... a Revo 3.3 from traxxas!

Am having an absolute ball with it.... although the cost of going fast.....and the resultant tumbles and flips result in the local hobby store doing a roaring trade in parts ;)

anyways... here it is!

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
cjbfisher said:
I know nothing about them either, but damn, that looks like fun. Does it have a 2-speed gearbox? Sounds like it changes gears down the back straight. I reckon the noise would give me a headache in about 30 secs.
Yeah it does have a two speed gearbox..... and did have reverse..... until somehow I stripped the gear completely..... so now it is sitting at home, with the transmission out, and I will be putting in a forward only conversion this afternoon..... as the LHS doesn't have any reverse cogs in stock..... and apparently it is a fairly common issue..... so forwards only for the moment! The noise isn't too bad.... unless there are may walls around, then it gets obnoxious quickly with high pitched echos! Apparently the engine at WOT will do well over 30k rpm....

Bertros said:
I know nothing about this (other than i want one) but my mate peering over my shoulder at work suggested your rear suspension should be a bit softer, and your front suspension a bit stiffer, in order to keep it level over the jumps and save a couple of those trips to the hobbie shop for parts. Could be worth exploring further but cheers for the vid either way. Looks like FUN.
You should get one ;) It is uber addictive! Yeah, I am in the process of doing some research into setting it up..... after this vid, I did play with it a bit and reduced its ride height and played with the suspension..... it is a bit more stable in flight at the moment.....The main thing to try and sort out is the tuning..... will be focussing on that this week, while annoying the neighbours with it ;)

Oh and I am working on a custom paint scheme for a new body........

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dru said:
Australia flag and a Nissan badge?
I'd be impressed if the local painter can do a nissan badge that small! It was an example of a grill....... it won't be an exact replica, but a base for the finished product ;) Anyway, it would match my nissan patrol :p

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
On the same track, but not in the same class, today I bought 2 radio control helicopters. Metal construction, 3 channel remotes, 2 for $25 from Jaycar. Never had one before, no idea if they're any good, but for $12.50 each, I'll give them a spin.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bertros said:
sbd said:
On the same track, but not in the same class, today I bought 2 radio control helicopters. Metal construction, 3 channel remotes, 2 for $25 from Jaycar. Never had one before, no idea if they're any good, but for $12.50 each, I'll give them a spin.
Nice art work though SBD... puts Swabio's bumper to shame.

LoL! Nice one.....

Well I have spent a bit of time on the toy and upgraded some bits and pieces and took it back to the track today ;)

Check out the latest pix at...http://s103.photobucket.com/user/swabio/library/RC Car Action/Abadi Track Bandung 27 July 2013

Here is a couple to whet the appetite ;)

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I have a nitro RC but simply do not have the skills to keep it running in tune. My next one will be battery powered for sure. Apart from the noise, battery beats nitro in just about every way.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I used to have 1/10th nitro that I raced but not the offroad version. I looked into them but decided if I wanted to race it would probably cost me more than the other one did with the inevitable breakages from collisions with poor drivers. It's so much fun and surprising just how fast these things can go. RC just isn't only for kids :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
StevenM said:
Love the Bonnet

Boys are back in the 8
Yeah..... will order the body this week, and hopefully pick it up next week ;)

bruus said:
I used to have 1/10th nitro that I raced but not the offroad version. I looked into them but decided if I wanted to race it would probably cost me more than the other one did with the inevitable breakages from collisions with poor drivers. It's so much fun and surprising just how fast these things can go. RC just isn't only for kids :)
It is very addictive!

Here is some onboard footage..... managed to crack the go pro case..... and it is a bit foggy, as I forgot the anti fog inserts, and the humidity here plays havoc with the Hero2...... was not game enough to put the Hero3 BE on it.........yet.....

[mod edit: embed fix]

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I have a few fixed wind RC models and always thought that the cars would have been cheaper as it would avoid the crashes... unlike JF give me the fuel over the batteries although the electrics have come a long long way since I first got hooked on the smell from model engine's and their fumes...

I have mucked around with the small counter-rotating helis and the worst part is that they develop wear on their main shaft and the heads get out of balance and then its throw them away as they become uncontrollable...

cheers

John

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
john316 said:
I have a few fixed wind RC models and always thought that the cars would have been cheaper as it would avoid the crashes... unlike JF give me the fuel over the batteries although the electrics have come a long long way since I first got hooked on the smell from model engine's and their fumes...

I have mucked around with the small counter-rotating helis and the worst part is that they develop wear on their main shaft and the heads get out of balance and then its throw them away as they become uncontrollable...

cheers

John
I'd love to get a FW.... but I know that I'd spend heaps on it crashing it all the time..... I love watching some of the massive jet turbine ones! Now they are a mans toy ;)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
swabio said:
I love watching some of the massive jet turbine ones! Now they are a mans toy ;)
big bucks though...

saw an F14 tomcat that was 3 meters long, twin engine, swing wing, air brakes on the wheels - basically the works. It was built at huge expense for a bloke who had money but not the time to build but he also lacked the pride that came with building a scale model to perfection... the result was crash and burn first flight

ouch

John

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
john316 said:

cheers

John
Love the noise, love the smell of Nitro, Lack the skills to keep them running properly.
Want to build an RC boat one day.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
john316 said:
swabio said:
I love watching some of the massive jet turbine ones! Now they are a mans toy ;)
big bucks though...

saw an F14 tomcat that was 3 meters long, twin engine, swing wing, air brakes on the wheels - basically the works. It was built at huge expense for a bloke who had money but not the time to build but he also lacked the pride that came with building a scale model to perfection... the result was crash and burn first flight

ouch

John
Ouch......... bet it was awesome though ;)

HMmmm i am not sure why either, but the pix in the album went lo-res......

here is a link to high res ones!

http://s103.photobucket.com/user/sw...on/Abadi Track Bandung 27 July 2013/HQ Images

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.