Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone!
was searching for a forum where i could get some info on which kayak is suited to my needs
i live at Thorneside on the bay..most days i take my dog to Wellington Point walk out to King Island.. so often i sit there and wonder what it would be like to explore the area for the day by kayak. unfortunately i have no idea which model/brand/type suits my needs. ( im a beginner obviously)
info about me -umm im 35yo, 115kgs, 6ft 3.. fishing? now and then..especially when i get the hang of it, but for now more interested in exploring the Thorneside/Lota/Wellington Point protected areas in kayak but eventually when i get more confident up and down the Bay. Im starting as i need a new hobby, hopefully ill get fit off it too plus i enjoy being in nature as much as i can. fishing will be an added bonus in the future when im more confident with just the kayaking side of things ( and will have to teach myself that too as i havent fished since i was 3 or 4 years old lol)

Having been a salesman of drums/musical equipment for a long long time, i know there is a difference in performance and quality between cheap ebay chinese crap to purpose built top quality products. so i dont want something dodgy that will just ruin my experience then end up getting sold on gumtree for a big loss
HOWEVER my partner and i are both studying full time atm with 2 kids...so every dollar counts. i guess some middle ground between cheap and top quality might suit my needs?

also, can anyone send me a link or direct me somewhere i can find out info about learning the ins and outs of kayaking especially if its relevant to the Moreton Bay?

thanks for any help guys. i searched online for awhile but mainly came across American info.. id prefer to get aussie advice, in case brands are different and also im assuming there are a lot of Bayside people on here as i always see many many kayaks out on my walks.

appreciate any help
sorry if i come across overly green lol
cheers

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome mate. I'm pretty sure 2nd hand fits your brief and buying something that can get your around the bay at a leisurely pace AND have future fishing potential is the tricky part. Look at 11-13 feet and definitely take a look in the For Sale section and Which Kayak For Me sections in here. There is lots to learn and even more once you get out on the water with some of the guys (Fishing Trips is the spot to keep an eye on). I'll be scaring fish around Wellington Point from September so keep an eye out for that in here as well.

As a starter, and its a model I was looking at before deciding on a Tarpon, would a 2nd hand 2010 Hobie Quest be within your budget? It certainly wouldn't be something you'd be putting up for sale if you got right into the sport and it scales nicely to be a good fishing platform as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply!
whats the difference between something like that hobie quest and a tarpon 120 ( just looked it up on youtube) and the other kayaks i see about that arent as open? as in, the persons legs are inside the kayak?
sorry for the terminology lol

·
Registered
124 Posts
They're both Sit On Top (sometimes you'll see SOT used) and the other types are Sit In Kayaks (SIK being the acronym used for them). I have no real experience with either types but the majority of people on here have SOT types so the inference I take from that is that these types would be most suitable for someone entering the sport rather than the SIK types. The SIKs are probably a more expensive proposition as well but again I'm only guessing on that point as I have no experience using them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
hey mate, i only started kayaking last year and i got myself a viking nemo kayak, does the job and can also fish off it when i want and it was pretty reasonable brand new, so finding something second hand would be a bargain. on the bay, is there a place where u can hire a kayak for a couple of hours? maybe jump on one of them and see how u feel and then take it from there? also the viking kayak guy up here on the coast was awesome, after owning my kayak for a 1.5yrs, there was a bit of water in the paddle, i took it there to see what i could do, he just gave me a brand spanker!
but once u start, you'll love it!! i do!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey thanks for your reply
i looked up Viking, seem like really good prices.
i seem to gravitate towards the longer kayaks that will glide and be more efficient in the water than the shorter, wider ones that look like surf skis.
the one on the Viking site that interest me is the Viking Ocean ski.
ive sent Viking an email to see what they recommend.

one thing i forgot to ask on here is transporting the kayak.
i have a nissan patrol with a 3/4 length roof cage... am i able to attach a kayak rack/holder (?) on top of that or will i need to remove the roof cage completely to transport the kayak around?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi mate, I'm no guru but can tell you that your patrol will transport just about all plastic sot kayaks upside down with only a few straps, no additions required. There is a fellow with a house opposite the queens beach boat ramp indedcliffe who rents kayaks. It looked informal and reasonably priced. Sorry I don't have more details but I think a visit on a nice Saturday morning would be worth it, grab a yak and have a paddle! I'll grab the number when I see it next. Cheers, tom

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Fantastic playground that you are contemplating! Think that Lapse has exactly the response you need.

Then book yourself with Kayakone's training g day in Sept. all up that n awesome start. Oh, your vehicle is one or carting yaks.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Bradv said:
I normally troll around Wellington Point or Ormiston in my Nomad, but Tingalpa Creek - which finishes right next door to you at Thornside - provides some interesting paddling too :D Some great information on that here: http://www.upstreampaddle.com/media/Tingalpa Creek.pdf
That site you provided a link to Brad appears to be a mine of information for kayakers. It appears well researched and presented (I make the comment not having been there - most of my paddling is northside Brissie, apart from Jumpinpin. I loved that last photo particularly in the site of the tinnie operator throwing the cast net while the egret sits patiently waiting for a handout. I have seen this identical sceneario on Kedron Brook a few times while riding the bikeway .... I was amazed the first time I saw it!

Angryassdrummer

Are you any closer to a decision on kayaks after all the advice to date? Hoping to about your selection, and possibly a trip report from you some time.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks Trev,

Yes, there's a whole lot of great info on many more paddling trips in SE QLD and Northern NSW on that site here: http://www.upstreampaddle.com/canoe_guidebook.html

The only one I've undertaken so far is Tingalpa Creek as it's very close to me, but having done both the top and bottom parts of it using the previously-posted guide I can confirm that it was very accurate. Next time I'm in there I'll chuck a line out, but it was most enjoyable to explore 8)

And angryassdrummer, let us all know what yak you decide upon - I'll keep an eye out for you down our way 8)

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWcyOKmAAAA3XgAAQQIUSBBEAP+/fICAAaDVPSMhp6htJiaNpBFPU2mRDIeoB6j0mRQ9PtJPrjaTPratcrhW/jwkREsKEoJDZMwrZwWjPZCNeOp10esvsQOQgoQ1MIEWRxaJgIK00vF8GJFG6dhKH4u5IpwoSGZHFTAA=

·
Registered
268 Posts
Bradv said:
I normally troll around Wellington Point or Ormiston in my blue Nomad, but Tingalpa Creek - which finishes right next door to you at Thornside - provides some interesting paddling too :D Some great information on that here: http://www.upstreampaddle.com/media/Tingalpa Creek.pdf
just watch out for the wanker with the inflatable with a 75hp outboard on it, and the asshats in the ski boats, oh and the tossers in the jetskis near the mouth of tinglapa. the normal boaties are usually pretty good.

I spend what time i can on the water around Canaipa passage near cobby cobby,russell and north straddy ( helps too that i live right there now)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.