Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know, I've been wanting a live well so I can fish some bream comps, and to keep table fish fresh as can be.
After considering several options, I bought a ready made one, for $1800.
It came with some extras, including a second eski-based live tank with manual pump, a trolley, a 33LB thrust Minn Kota, and a Hobie Outback, inc. seat, paddle, extra single paddle and 4 x RAM rod holders. Also a fish finder, minus transducer, original mirage drive fins (has ST's fitted) and 2 spare rudders (has sailing rudder fitted). Not sure why there are 2 spares.

I spent the afternoon stripping, cleaning, straightening, re-greasing and rebuilding the mirage drive.

It looks much better, and moves much more easily now.

Hull is near new condition - had been replaced by Hobie after the dreaded mirage well cracks appeared.

It even comes with MOJO! Previous owner is one of Tassie's top bream fishos.

Only problem is - many people have to choose "revo or outback" once. I'll have to choose every time I go fishing, apart from when Jen comes too. :lol:

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could have a point there kraley.
I've straightened mine quite a few times. Never seen them quite that bent though.
I guess some spares (maybe replace current ones and keep the replaced ones as spare) might be a good plan.
It's testament to the quality of the mirage drive that the one in the pic is now as smooth as a new one after a bit of cleaning and lube. Fins have seen better days though.

Still undecided whether to keep the 'leccie and get a battery and make a mount for it or just flog it. Wife says keep it.

Out of curiosity - is there any use (apart from keeping for spares) for standard mirage drive fins and standard rudders? I seem to be getting a bit of a collection of both happening...

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wife doesn't have quite the fitness I do.
Last year @ Coles Bay I ended up towing her twice. Once in a strong wind that came up, once in a strong tidal flow.
If it was just me using the 'yak I'd sell the 'leccy in a flash.

Might just have to ease her into it a bit, more sheltered waters with less / no current / tide until she gets some leg fitness.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.