Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just purchased a Pamlico 135T kayak with a Lowrance Elite 4X DSI fish finder.I've already taken it out on the Onkaparinga river, Noarlunga, South Australia. I'm waiting for the wind to die down so I can take it out again.

I have a question which you will probably think of stupid, but I'll ask it anyway. When I'm launching the kayak, what's the best sway to keep my feet dry. :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Options I'd say are:

1) Don't try stay dry. Just let em get wet and wear shoes that drain out or have a towel in the hatch to dry off once out on the water (prob still ge wet from splash though)

2) Some kind of gumboot/waterproof boot which is deep enough to allow you to launch without water going into the boot. I usually do this and if the spot is too deep I just put the yak halfway to 3/4 way in then push it off with the paddle.

3) Launch from places where you can step/manuever straight into the yak and not touch the water. For example on the side of some boatramps there is a 'lee' where the ramp drops in with deeper water on the sides. You can step straight off the dry ramp and into the yak.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Welcome to AKFF Merv. Some people swear by Sealskinz waterproof socks but I haven't tried them myself. Personally I just wear wetsuit boots and although wet at least the feet stay reasonably warm inside the kayak.

I looked up the Pamlico 135T - it appears to be an ideal fishing platform for lakes and rivers with that open cockpit. It also looks heavy - do you use it as a tandem or somehow get it in the water yourself?

This weekend should be OK wind wise and I'm hoping to get out on the Onk myself on Sunday morning for some more trials of my Curlew. Let me know if you will be down there about then and I'll keep an eye out.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi and welcome Mervo.
That is not a stupid question at all. I tried wet suit boots and thick socks last year and my feet still got cold. This year I am going to try Sealskinz socks this year which unfortunately only come up mid calf, will keep you posted.
Cheers
Bob

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
You poor southeners! I've never in my kayaking life tried to keep my feet dry.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I prefer bare feet and don't worry with getting wet. It is a water sport afterall. In winter I'll use scuba fin socks. Tried booties but didn't like them. Though I do use boties rarely.

Still, even in summer I keep a pair of waterproof sandals handy in the yak. Oyster cuts are not to be taken lightly.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi Merv. I couldn't find anyone in Adelaide, had to buy them on line and got them through Wiggle I think it was, although I ordered via the UK website (realised later could have done it through their AUS web site) they came from Melbourne.

Tried them a couple of nights ago with the neoprene boots, I have now decided to wear waterproof pants so I put a strap around the bottom of the leg so water can't get up and over the top of the sock because they are only calf height. No problems launching,, had dry feet but when I jumped into the water on landing water got into one of the socks, I don't think one strap had come loose, so will have to be a bit more careful next time.
Cheers
Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.