Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G

·
Trev I think that a lot of people don't realise is that those ships take 1.5 km to come to a stop. I haven't watched the vid but the engine is only half the problem. There is the prop and the gearbox. You need to wait till the boat comes to a determined speed before you can shift to reverse as the prop keeps turning at speed with the boat and if you shift early the box goes bang. I have blown gearboxes on out boards before on outboard a 200 Yamaha and I would not like to hear a big ships box go bang.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nad97 said:
Trev I think that a lot of people don't realise is that those ships take 1.5 km to come to a stop. I haven't watched the vid but the engine is only half the problem. There is the prop and the gearbox. You need to wait till the boat comes to a determined speed before you can shift to reverse as the prop keeps turning at speed with the boat and if you shift early the box goes bang. I have blown gearboxes on out boards before on outboard a 200 Yamaha and I would not like to hear a big ships box go bang.
True Nick, plus they weigh xxx,000 tonnes.

They should ban commercial shipping around fishing/kayaling spots like the Brays and the Blinker off Caloundra, and between Bribie/Redcliffe and Moreton. :)

Let the paddler beware.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.