Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That forum's off limits to non-members Lazy, can you give us the gist?

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Lazybugger said:
Original Capture: 30 Jun 2012, 460mm, mouth of Brissy River
Recapture: 26 Jun 2013, 560mm, Scarborough Reef

So 10cm in almost exactly one year.

Seems like a reasonable growth rate to me.
Interesting Scott. I just joined Nuggets. Excellent info.

·
Registered
146 Posts
So a legal snapper would be around 3 and a half years old give or take. Thats very interesting! I could be completely wrong but does that mean that if they raised the snapper legal size to 40cm it would take around a year for those common 30-35cm snapper to become commonly caught at 40 cm ?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
WhipperSnapper said:
So a legal snapper would be around 3 and a half years old give or take. Thats very interesting! I could be completely wrong but does that mean that if they raised the snapper legal size to 40cm it would take around a year for those common 30-35cm snapper to become commonly caught at 40 cm ?
Hey WS, my understanding of size limits in Qld is that they are set based on the available science of the time so that each and every fish has the opportunity to breed at least once before it is removed from the system. I.e. at the moment they believe snapper reach sexual maturity and begin breeding between 30-35cm hence the 35cm minimum size. It wasn't that long ago the snapper used to have a minimum in Qld of 30cm, possibly 5-7 years ago.

Kev

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
There is one theory pushed about, that the snapper living in outrageous currents, fighting hard just to stay upright and battling to get a feed, could be quite old when they reach the minimum legal length, whereas those in such areas like Redcliffe, not fighting strong currents and with a plentiful food supply, reach the minimum legal length much sooner.

Sounds reasonable, eh?

Jimbo

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
So how old was the 19 cm one Jimbo caught last week? Not very by the sound of it.

What about the 94 cm one, his record? Or Grant's 100 cm +. Beggars belief.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.