Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI Everyone

New to Kayaking after buying a second hand hobie adventure. Just back from a weekend at Maroochy and managed to break this part (see photo please).

I'm a complete novice, but it looks like I just buy a new part, whack the cable back in and recrimp. Is there more to this than I know? I presume it must have been too tight, so how do I know how tight it should be?

Any help is greatly appreciate.

Thanks

Justin

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
JRF1973 said:
HI Everyone

New to Kayaking after buying a second hand hobie adventure. Just back from a weekend at Maroochy and managed to break this part (see photo please).

I'm a complete novice, but it looks like I just buy a new part, whack the cable back in and recrimp. Is there more to this than I know? I presume it must have been too tight, so how do I know how tight it should be?

Any help is greatly appreciate.

Thanks

Justin
spare chain seems to be freely available:

http://macleanoutdoors.net.au/kayaks/mi ... ive-chains

make sure you get the right part.

http://******************.com/articles/ ... aintenance had a good mirage rebuild guide IIRC?

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWc2l/MUAACNfgAAQQIegmABTECC/7/+gMAD1psNTJMhiAno9EmmmmjRoNVP2lPVPap+pqBtRoDI9RoaECmjJo0aAGhoDQNeSkLl1yUfKkekKtYJ4ylWmPh10zlCDg5CMkYRtDN8+CKRu9h8cmJusSqfwnIot8k/qFVitls51C0INB0GVIKYghSk1g4GHk0DKb2I4EqEiZ3PFAdORisgfeFasw4EQpy0DRiz6HW9AqE2lYqQ+YNFYe7CoYiyDZyW3QRgZHq5jDpUsBq1QM1Jd+u7TjeJujspA2+KHeMTqVBdO5qO6j7Mh77bXQimhAQ29xZQTGbHNpc6wLSH8XckU4UJDNpfzFA==

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply everyone. Appears I just have to buy a new chain. I had assumed I could just buy the cable or even the piece that it goes into, but not to be. $46 for the chain when i was thinking $5 for the cable....

·
Registered
174 Posts
G'day guys. Out of curiosity, how often does this cable let go ? I ask as most of my adventures are remote and maybe I need a spare with me. Cheers.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Barrabundy said:
Does anyone know off the top of ther heads whether the V1 and"V2 cables are the same?
They are not the same Con - you'll need to check which version mirage drive you have to ensure you get the right replacement.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Ok, didn't think they were the same. I've got an old set here from when I upgraded mine to a V2 and thought I might be able to pass them on but JFR1973 has a V2 as well....useless for both of us.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Even if you could successfully remove the remnants of the old cable, it is not possible to re-swage a stainless terminal. It would surely fail, due to fatigue.
The drive is a V2 Con. V1 cables are different.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
BigPete68 said:
G'day guys. Out of curiosity, how often does this cable let go ? I ask as most of my adventures are remote and maybe I need a spare with me. Cheers.
Mate my Outfitter is 4 years old and no worries (touch wood) Make sure cables are not over tightened and try not to pedal when your fins are bottomed out.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I'd replace the cables as a set. If one broke the others have seen the same amount of work. Things that fail due to fatigue tend to go around the same time. If you go offshore then the expense is worth it. Inside and you can paddle home.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
At the risk of sounding like telling you how to suck eggs, get into the habit of giving your drive a check over regularly to hopefully prevent problems on the water. That's something I haven't been doing much of lately.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.