Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

Do you measure fish to the fork or to the tip of the tail?

  • Fork

    Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Tip

    Votes: 30 73.2%
  • Other - explain

    Votes: 2 4.9%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fork or tip?

Can't be bothered looking it up, but I was under the impression that legal limits are based on fork, but over the last 5 years I've noticed a trend towards tip

Is this due to competition fishing and trying to extract every last mm?

Discuss
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
In Queensland you are required to measure to the tip of the tail. I usually allow a couple of cm over to allow for shrinkage if questioned after I've had the fish for a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FishinRod said:
In Queensland you are required to measure to the tip of the tail. I usually allow a couple of cm over to allow for shrinkage if questioned after I've had the fish for a while.
If you measured to the fork you wouldn't have to worry about shrinkage

If you didn't swim in cold water, you also wouldn't have to worry about shrinkage
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
anselmo said:
Fork or tip?

Can't be bothered looking it up, but I was under the impression that legal limits are based on fork, but over the last 5 years I've noticed a trend towards tip

Is this due to competition fishing and trying to extract every last mm?

Discuss
In Queensland for the past 40 or more years it has been the tip of the caudal fin furthest from the nose.

Regards

Ian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,364 Posts
Barra have a convex tail so there is no fork, I don't bother measuring too many fish, if they look big I keep them, if they look small I throw them back. If its been a while between feeds then I measure a small one just in case it's just legal because I'm desperate.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,383 Posts
I measured mine to the tip. And it's still undersize. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
tip of tail when it comes to bragging rights. i dont really bother with fish that are just legal unless theres more then a couple in quick succesion thats gonna make a worthy feed. Much rather come back a week later and catch half as many fish but are that bit too big too worry about lengths of fork or tail or shrinkage. As Gatesy said i can neither confirm or deny said tactics if i was asked to measure a suspect fish. Like bundy its only worth measuring and keeping smaller fish if its been a long time between drinks. But hey we all have our own set of guidelines and cant judge others from a different part of the country just cause they do it different. As far as im concerned if the majority of recreational fishermen/women were in kayaks our fishing stocks would be the envy of the world. how many quality fish can u carry on a yak apposed to a stinky. would be easier to manage commercial boats and our taxes to the fisheries department wouldnt be greatly wasted on clean up missions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,610 Posts
Gatesy said:
I know some people here probably think the 'Gatesy stretch' is when I give the wife the extra inch I usually save for xmas and birthday
No, most of us think any inch you can give your wife is a stretch. :D
You can't measure to the tip during a fork.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,825 Posts
Do you measure your dick and not include the head? Tip for me (as per Qld regulations) don't see the point of only measuring to the fork but then again I release 99.5% of my fish so it doesn't really affect me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,098 Posts
I've never seen any legal requirement to measure to the fork, always to the tip.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,383 Posts
keza said:
Gatesy said:
I know some people here probably think the 'Gatesy stretch' is when I give the wife the extra inch I usually save for xmas and birthday
No, most of us think any inch you can give your wife is a stretch. :D
You can't measure to the tip during a fork.
You crack me up Kerry, repeatedly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,783 Posts
Tip
That is the correct legal way in all states and always has been. Fork measurements is a wank and is usually put up by the same people who insist on left hand reels and target poo eaters......but thats just my humble opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
867 Posts
You can't measure to the tip during a fork.
Not without getting your finger dirty! :shock: :lol:
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top