Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

Maroochydore River July/Aug 06

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Russ 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I’m not sure weather it's the new Hobie or the time of the year but over the past few weeks I have caught more bream than I have caught in the past 10 years. (That may sound like a lot but it really isn't).

All the fishing has been done around Goat Island. The water has been crystal clear and it's just been great to be out. With the polarised sunnies I have seen fish, rays, logs, rocks down to 3-4 meters.

I am a slow learner and have not taken up the soft plastics thingy.
However the Hard bodied lures (minnows and poppers) have been working so why change?
Clearly going against all AKFF wisdom I haven't been using an SX40. But have been having most success with a fluro pink predatek micromin deep and a Rebel teeny pop-r. The Rapala shadrap and Rapala taildancer (both in ‘shad’) also have claimed a few fins. Whiting have even taken to the taildancer on a few occasions.

One technique that does seem to be working is flicking lures at stingrays. You can see the bream shadowing them. Seems that they are hoping the ray stirs up some critters living in the sand and they jostle for any morsel that happens to move close by.

Having a very low hook-up rate with the popper getting followed every three to four casts, hits every 10 and a hook-up maybe once every 100! Fun nonetheless. Any hints on how to improve this rate would be appreciated. Hopefully practice is the key (any excuse to spend more time on the water).

Catch species in the last few sessions has been Bream, Whiting, Flathead, trevally and Tailor.

As most of these areas are very shallow we yakkers pretty well have it to ourselves. Hope to see you out there.

P.S. Sorry about the crapy quality of images - The Mobile phone!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice work. A good tip re rays.

Missed hookups are common with surface lures. Part of the thrill is seeing the fish approach and strike and hoping for a hookup. How big are the poppers? Have you thought of changing the hook size?

#4 ·
Peril,

The Teeny Pop-R is around 50mm. Obviously the size they like as it gets plenty of attention.
Hooks are the originals; size around a 6 or 8.
While I give them a file to keep them sharp I might upgrade them to some chemically sharpened ones. What size do you recommend?

Cheers

G
#6 ·
polylureosis said:
Peril,

The Teeny Pop-R is around 50mm. Obviously the size they like as it gets plenty of attention.
Hooks are the originals; size around a 6 or 8.
While I give them a file to keep them sharp I might upgrade them to some chemically sharpened ones. What size do you recommend?

Cheers
Some quality chemically sharpened hooks would be at the top of my list :)

#7 ·
Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWQmKXmgAAA3fgAASQCMAEACAEAA3794gIABoNU9NTQPSGeqM0gIpspmJomhkDaiBYfZG9Jjxs1Nfb2sTWWKzpLcOIhQgaBkWR3jm7yo19ChjNo4NheEZwEkmJGA0lKmxBwjjZaqYHqLV95WqKCB+LuSKcKEgExS80A==

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.