Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

Maroochy River 27 Nov

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  milansek 
#1 ·
Was up at the Sunshine Coast for the Hobie Bass Bash and thought while I still had the Yak on roofracks and fishing rods in the boot I may as well have a quick morning session before work.

Headed out around Chambers Island (pic Attached) it was near dead low tide. In the days before the Yak I often walked these flats.

Went to clip on the new popper I had won at the bass bash (thanks Lureworld) and relaesed I had left it on the table at home - Bugger.
Anyways had a rebel pop-r had a few swirls and slurps as the bream were about and half interested (how do get the other half?)
Threw the lure up right onto the shallows and as it was coming over into the deeper water it got hammered - Picked it for a trevor but actually was a whiting around 33cm's :D

Cast and trolled around had many follows and a few hits. Just as I was heading back in I got a small flaty on the sx40 being trolled out the back.

Top morning but had to get to work..... Can't have it all.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWV+QEiAAAAtTgAASQANUAD/v3iAgAEhqnlPTUPKBkZDag1GUwjNCGIwIIcXL7u8wTKtHlQ2fSyAxFs92nAhNmjkVfIMoJeUIxegR+CaG95Wg+PjD3Ch6ZH3WxdyRThQkF+QEiAA=

#7 ·
I have never heard of a whiting hitting a popper before :shock:
They must be ferocious critters over there in the East :twisted:
Top catch there mate :)

#8 ·
Nic,

If you put in the time they are good all day. They are probably more effective early and late. But especially in summer with fish being a little more active and insect activity also increased it's worth giving them a bash.

There are probably more effective presentations when the sun is up high: but none as fun.

Besides who in S.E.QLD (given our apparent fear of daylight savings) is up at dawn?

Tryhard,

When you say 1 strike from every four follows. Is that hook up rate? Because that's awesome. I don't think I would get a 1 strike for every 10 follows and a hook up 1 in every 10 strikes! (although that's with bream - Much better rate with every other species)

That reminds me - Must sharpen/replace trebles

Ash

#9 ·
Cuda said:
I have never heard of a whiting hitting a popper before :shock:
They must be ferocious critters over there in the East :twisted:
Top catch there mate :)
The yellowfin whiting will hit just about any hardbody, including poppers. Not as much fight as bream but they aren't slugs either and tend to smash poppers.

Now King George Whiting are the ferocious ones. Just ask Andybear. I'm not game to chase them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.