Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the maiden voyage in my new Outback up at Blanch town over the long weekend. Really happy with the craft, was much more stable than I thought she would be (nice surprise). by the way some people talk about tying everything down, and the flash PFD's about the place I got the impression that I should expect to fall off the thing on a regular basis?! I reckon it would be an odd set of circumstances that resulted in a dunking.
Even my 4yo couldn't wait for a ride along. The first picture was actually taken on the second morning when I headed out for a troll and a few casts around some snags with spinner baits and stump jumpers to see if I could tempt any hungry Callop. I didn't get any fish but it was a pretty special morning enjoying the peace and serenity of Hobie Kayaking in all its glory. It was bloody cold and my legs were a bit sore after the second day but I'm sure the fitness will come. The first day was spent getting used to the set up and how she handled. It was too cold to practice falling off and getting back on again, but I crawled up and down the length of the hull to access all the hatches and sat side saddle a couple of times just to get used to the stability.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Looks great, Pilch. I'm sure you will be very happy with it - had one for years. Good colour choice too!

BTW, "first paddle" should be "first peddle"......

cheers

David

·
Registered
174 Posts
Welcome to the madhouse Pilch. It's not a pastime, it's an addiction. :lol:
As for cold legs mate, I hear ya but I took advice from many forum users and got a pair of Kokatat Pants. These things are a must have for winter adventures. As for falling out, yes the Outbacks are stable but take care, I fell out of mine doing something stupid as well as got run over by a Skiboat fool :twisted: so like all good Boy Scouts, be prepared.
See ya out there. :D

·
Registered
463 Posts
No, you should not expect to fall off on a regular basis - but if you turn it right over just once it could be expensive if you lose a couple of rod/reel combos, a heap of tackle etc.

Sure looks cold in those photos but seems like you enjoyed your first trip anyhow.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Good one Pilch - they are great platforms but a number have tipped them especially turning around and looking up - so it can happen. With great stability - there is no warning when you are close to tipping.
Pilch said:
I found the rubber covers on the rod holders a bit annoying, do most people get rid ofthem early on?
I just twisted mine around on my Sport - a Mini Outback.

·
Registered
167 Posts
As Andrew says there is no warning when it tips. I was trying to dislodge a big bluey into a tub behind me. 1 second upright, next upside down. NO warning. Only happened once.

Just be careful, especially if you take the kids out. Just don't turn around and lean at the same time.

Best bit.....enjoy! (even if it is cold)

cheers

David

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hear you @Suehobieadventure, but I love a challenge, I just need to keep mixing it up until I find a lure and presentation method that will tempt those cold sluggish Yellow Bellies to bite. I have caught plenty of Callop on bait over the years and find bait fishing for them less challenging these days, its more about the chase more than the prize now I think?!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Pilch said:
Thanks for the tips guys :D
I found the rubber covers on the rod holders a bit annoying, do most people get rid of them early on?
I have a revo and only have the two behind me. Often i use extension rod holders as the revo has slightly lower sides and reels can get wet in slight chop. Have never thought of removing them and they are still present. The front ones might be more annoying and from memory a mate of mine who has an outback does not have the covers on his. Calling outbackers...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Pilch said:
I found the rubber covers on the rod holders a bit annoying, do most people get rid of them early on?
I only got rid of one, got caught on the roofracks when i was loading the outback one day...
I've never had an issue with them, like others have said, i just flick them in towards the centre of the yak and they've never bothered me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.